new computer case?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by FanJ, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky Security Expert

Hello,

I used the Define R4 Black Pearl case for my current desktop computer build and so far it is working great. The fit and finish of the chassis both inside and out is top notch.

One thing that I did not pay much attention to when purchasing the case was that it had some noise reducing material on the side panels and top (the latter of which is removable and covers fan mounts). I am not sure how much of a difference it makes, but the system is certainly quieter than my previous build, which was in a Cooler Master Stacker 820 full-tower (circa 2005). It also has some texture on all sides except the plastic front door, so it is less of a fingerprint magnet than some of the other cases.

I was actually going to go with a Corsair Graphite 600 case, which I also liked the look of, but at the time the difference in price after factoring in shipping and taxes was about $10 more, so decided to go with the Fractal Design.

In the past, I've built quite a few systems for personal use using Antec, Chenbro, Cooler Master, Lian Li, Super Micro and Zalman cases and found them to all be pretty good. I probably would not do a Lian Li again, though, due the extreme number of screws involved in attaching the side panels. I really do like the thumbscrew and sliding off panel approach.

On the power supply side, the current system has a Corsair power supply, but in the past I have had good results with PC Power & Cooling (prior build in the CM Stacker case) and Seasonic. I was a bit concerned about going with PP&C for this build because the company that acquired them in 2007, OCZ, went into bankruptcy last year, but they announced last month that they had been acquired by a new company, although it will be interesting to see what the new management does.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.