New Build of FD-ISR (173) = GARBAGE!!!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Birdman, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I am having nothing but PROBLEMS with this latest release of FD-ISR.

a) in VSS mode....I am unable to create or update any snapshot (getting some stupid static error message)

b) in RSS mode....when I delete a snapshot, I get about 15+ errors EVERYTIME.

I have contacted Raxco support....but they have been unable (as of today) to resolve this issue. They suggested to do a Windows XP re-installation....but I'm NOT about to do that when they can't even determine the exact problem I'm having.

I am currenty working with ZERO, NO, ZILTCH, NADDA snapshots (only Primary) and everytime I update a program or make changes to my system....I hold my breath and cross my fingers!

If anyone has any suggestion or recomendation.....I'm ALL EARS! I need any and all HELP right about now.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Only two suggestions to start:

1) Unsinstall and reinstall the version you are using.
    2) Assuming no love with 1) try installing the previous version and see if it still works.

Pete

3. Birdman

When I login to Raxco's site to RE-DOWNLOAD the software...it says that there are NO download links available?

Anyone know where I can download the .EXE from the latest 173 Build (instead of just the update patch)?

Maybe the update patch didn't install correctly or smoothly ontop of my previous 166 build?

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I've had no problem - but as Peter suggests build 166 was solid.

Do you have that installer?

5. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

that build works fine for me. though vss, i havent tried,i remove the service from my installs completely. good luck.

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I am using this version too without problems, have three snapshots to play with right now and they all work great. I have also imported and exported the snapshot in different occasions without any issues.

dja2k

7. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Do you have the Volume Shadow Copy service running ?

I got an unhelpful static error when it was not running.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  8. Birdman

It is not running, but I have it set to MANUAL.

Whenever I try to create a snapshot (in VSS mode)....it says that it was unable to start the VSS (followed by some error code). Maybe I should set the VSS to AUTOMATIC and try it that way?

9. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Start the service and then try to create a snapshot in VSS mode. If this works, set it to Automatic so that it will start when Windows boots up.

10. Birdman

Just tried that, same "Static Snapshot error."

I wonder if it might be another service in XP that might be DISABLED and that is needed for FD-ISR to work in VSS mode?

I power-tweaked my services and disabled the ones that are not needed. Maybe this has something to do with it?

11. Peter2150

Hi Birdman

Have you done any of those "tweaks" shutting down so called unneeded services? This could be the cause of your problems.

Pete

12. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

Did you try Rss mode? Ive shut down a LOT of windows services and its still working here. using rss. (ive had this setup for months). i got some screenshots here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=153435

---edit--
    heres a full list of whats running on one of my spshts

http://i14.tinypic.com/2zi3knr.png

13. Birdman

Yes. I am "trimmed" down the XP Services in the past. However i was told that in order for VSS to work in Fd-ISR...the only services needed to be running are VSS and RPC (which both are enabled).

I'm guessing it might be something else then. At this point, all I want is for FD-ISR to work...and it doesn't really matter if it's the standard RSS mode either. However in RSS mode, I get 20+ errors when deleting a snapshot.
    Basically I'm "screwed" either way.

Might have to go back to Build 166 instead if Raxco is unable to resolve my issue.

14. Birdman

Yes I've switched over to RSS. It creates a snapshot fine....but the problem is that when I remove a snapshot, I get multiple ERRORS (between 15-20).

According to Raxco...they are still looking into this matter with their "Development Team." It's been over a couple of weeks now and I am waiting patiently. Eventually I may just switch back to Build 166 if the issue is not resolved.

15. Peter2150

Bear in mind their development team is Leapfrog. I'd send a follow up email, but when I found a significant bug, with the test programs which were provided by Leapfrog via Raxco, it did take some time. But they hung in their and did resolve the issue.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.