new browser protection software??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by taleblou, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

Through my searching I came across "surfcanister" which promises to protect browsers from any and all threats online (like a sandbox maybe?). So has anyone test it or using or know about it. Thanks for your input in advance.

link: -https://surfcanister.com/

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

My "spidey senses" tell me this snake oil at its finest. Seriously, I would avoid this bs like the plague.

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I've read how it works and it is pretty similar to Sandboxie. I guess you haven't tried it before accusing it as "snake oil" and calling it bs as you used your "spidey senses". It's unfair for new software developers being accused that way. (Note: I also haven't tried it yet.)

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

My word doesn't have to be taken as gospel, of course. To me it just appears eerily similar to so many of these vendors who materialize out of nowhere with something and advertise it as the next best security solution, that's already been done and proven effective by someone else.

BTW, how do you know it works similar to Sandboxie if you haven't tried it? Reading about how it works can hardly count, imho.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

While I'm no expert on such matters, the lack of reviews from trustworthy sources gives me pause. A Google search thus far has either resulted in hits on the SurfCanister website itself (and what looks to be strange links purporting to belong to SurfCanister), CNET, Softpedia (both of which are very easy to create false reviews), and unknown blogs/websites with rather vague or short "reviews".

I'm aware the software isn't well known just yet, but, after a year (it was brought about in 2011), surely some more known website would have something to read on it. On the website for the product, the usual snippets of testimonials and " star ratings" from the normal name-checked websites appear, along with, at points, poorly worded sentences (of course I'm aware of language differences.)

Perhaps I judge too soon, but I've been down this road before and it just doesn't feel right. For what it claims to do, and given my above concerns, I'd feel safer using and recommending Sandboxie.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

"Seems" like a nice find, from the descriptions about it on their www :thumb:

Note the "claimed" companies at least 2 of the guys worked for previously. If true, not bad CV's ;)

I was hoping to try it out, but it requires NTFS & mine are FAT32 :p

Be good to see it trialed & tested by others :)

7. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

well it does list its registered offices,so to me the company as a whole does not seem to be a fake.

https://surfcanister.com/contact-us-new

I cannot say anything for the product though as I have to tried it.

and yes this is the first time I have heard of them.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I submitted the installer (ScSetup.exe) to a few malware analyzers.
    Anubis found high, medium and low risks that seem to me to be expected with this type of software...
    I'm still waiting for Norman Sandbox analysis and GFI ThreatTrack analysis to be emailed to me. Comodo Malware Analysis behaved like it was broken, for some reason, and I aborted it.

While waiting for the results of the two above-named tools, I ran ScSetup.exe thru VirusTotal and got this result:

VirusTotal Detection ratio: 2 / 36
    Emsisoft Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Fosniw!IK
    Ikarus Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Fosniw

Then I also ran it thru Jotti:

Jotti results: 2 out of 19 scanners reported malware.
    Clam AV 2012-09-21 PUA.Win32.Packer.SetupExeSection
    Ikarus 2012-09-21 Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Fosniw

My personal conclusion: I wouldn't install the program.

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Why paying for what Sandboxie offers for Free? o_O

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

There's such a thing for windozers - microsoft emet.
    Mrk

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

+1.exactly.why use other unproven and untested software when there is a program which is highly popular and does a fine job in itself.
    Why look elsewhere..strange.:ninja:

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The OP asks, "has anyone test it or using or know about it".
    This forum is about learning, and that to some extent involves asking about "unproven and untested software" regardless of how many other similar programs may already exist.

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Awesome...:thumb:

14. SurfCanister2011

SurfCanister2011 Registered Member

SurfCanister is a legal software and it is browser sandbox with additional features such as data protection and key logging protection.

Regarding AV detecting SurfCanister as a malware, that is a false alarm and this is one of the dis-advantage of AV detection technology.

Please let us know if you need more information about our software, we will be happy to share with you all.

Thanks,
    SurfCanister Team

15. tipo

tipo Registered Member

welcome to the forums guys! i see that your software is going to start a riot here (just joking wilders) so it would be best that one from the team keeps an eye on this thread. good luck and again welcome to the forums!

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Why discourage a new player in the market? We wouldn't have products like MBAM is everyone said "Ad-Aware was good enough, why try this newer thing?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.