New Bitdefender Service Connects Elite Engineers to Customers for One-on-One Problem-

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...for-one-on-one-problem-solving-228914071.html

http://www.bitdefender.com/tech-assist/

Quite expensive though:

Bitdefender Set-Up - 40 bucks
    Bitdefender PC Optimizer - 60 bucks
    Bitdefender System Repair - 80 bucks
    Bitdefender Virus Exterminator - 100 bucks

I hope they don't charge paying customers when something slips through BD products :blink:
    Be sure to read the small print as well:
    Lot's of hyperboles and buzzwords on the site like super/hyper/ultra secure, tech geniuses etc. They also have nice fake user reviews ("posted" in June while the service just launched.)

If I didn't know this was from BD, I definitely would think it was a malicious scam. Shame on BD :thumbd:

P.S. I hope their "ultra-secure" connection is better than their SSL connection from the store as it doesn't support TLS 1.2 and new ciphers, no forward secrecy and RC4 is used with the preferred cipher: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=store.bitdefender.com

2. ance

ance formerly: fmon

They should just fix the bugs in their software, nobody needs all the bells and whistles. :thumbd:

3. aztony

aztony Registered Member

The bells and whistles represent a new revenue stream. It's all about monetizing product and services.

4. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

They need to brush up their general customer service skills, never mind ripping their customers off for even more cash.

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Geez I only charge $50 for cleaning malware and that includes cleaning out the system. Might have to up my fees. :thumb:

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I just also wish they would provide normal support via their forum and support that should provide help free of charge.

I have been unable to get questions answered on their forums lately. I suspect that there is a shortage of mods, but that is their shortcoming, not the customers.

I am not willing to pay their price for help that should be forthcoming and without charge.
    Jerry

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Remote assistance written with fancy words and some seriously high prices. :eek:

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Big deal:rolleyes: Many AV companies have been offering similar services for sometime now.:cautious: And moreover these services are quite expensive. I would rather take my pc to people like kjdemuth.:D:thumb:

9. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I quit using Bitdefender after submitting two tickets with no response and the disappearing act that their support staff pulls for weeks at a time at their forum. They don't seem to understand or care that support for paying customers is a very important feature. It doesn't matter to me if a security developer consistently obtains the highest detection rate if they aren't going to be there for me when I am having problems or need a question answered.

I can get free malware removal and great free support elsewhere.

10. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I don't like their attitude and their company culture either. Too agressive in product design (take over your PC); leave the ghost streaming bug unsolved for many years although many customers complained in their forum. my PC is having various problems, inlcudindg lag in web browsing after installing BDIS. My overall feeling about BD is, although detection rate appears to be good, it caused too many other annoying problems that overweights the benefit it brings in.
    And now this. I suspect they did not care their customers asking questions in their forum on purpose because they wanted to charge their customers for the "service". I ditched BD for good and use Kaspersky now. very happy.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo i dont like really anything about them besides the detection rates. when i have contacted support for a client who already was using it when they came who was having a issues with it their attitude usually is that its our fault because we dont sell the product and dont it, and yes they have actually said that. the product imo is adware it adds tons of "extras" which i know i dont want and i cant remove unless i uninstall the program. these prices are crazy imo im VERY reasonable in my area and kjdemuth said he charges 50$ here i charge 60$ normally a flat fee unless its a disaster area. i also include a pretty good system cleanup as well in that price. and if you are a existing client who buys your av from my shop i usually cut that in half or less unless you come in like every week infected (which almost never happens for us)

12. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

As a Bitdefender user/customer I worry that this development will provide incentive for BD products to be more complex so that customers will require more help to achieve the best results.

I've used most of the top AV solutions from time to time, with mixed results. I'm currently using Bitdefender Internet Security 2014 (on Win7 64 bit) and consider this the best BD implementation, and indeed the best AV implementation, I've ever used. There is, however, a "but" attached. I've found the "Wallet" component to be problematic to my overall system. Once I turn "Wallet" off completely via the BD interface and additionally by disabling the two start-up components "pmbxag.exe" and "bdappassmgr.exe", I have what I consider a perfect, hassle-free AV product.

I'm not happy that the 'Wallet' component caused problems on my system, or that it took a great deal of time to identify the "Wallet" culprit, and the solution; but I also believe that these types of problems are 'par for the course' with AV products. The good news is that getting rid of Wallet fixed things completely on my system. No more problems.

Kaspersky (KIS) was also a great solution, but I found more problems there than with BD. And with every new version of KIS came new, typically minor but sometimes unfixable (by me), problems.

AV-LABS summed up the dilemma faced by typical AV users as follows

"Although the best programs in the “Protection” category also achieved excellent results in this “System Load” category, none of them were able to score the maximum total of six points. This test category is proof that high security comes at the expense of a certain amount of system performance. In fact, the top ten products in the endurance test were only able to achieve an average of 4 of a maximum possible total of 6 points. The leading package from Bitdefender was the only one of these suites to put less of a load on the system, achieving an average of 5.2 of the 6.0 points available." ​

My take on all of this is that some level of problem(s) is to be expected with the best AV solutions. I accept that; but I also want the company/product I use to continually strive to reduce those problems. So long as that happens, I'm good.

For the prices I'm willing to pay for an AV product, I don't think I can fairly expect individual attention from expert engineers to optimize my system. I'm ok with that too. I just hope that BD doesn't overlook and/or promote future problems with their new profit center.

Knock On (Touch) Wood and Cross Fingers; Today I'm good with BIS 2014. Hope BD keeps it that way.

__

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.