New Beta Version Of AVAST - 6.0.1184

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

Hi everyone,

we will soon be releasing a new program update of avast. And as usual, we're making it available for public testing a few days before the official release. The version number is 6.0.1184.

This is hopefully going to be a smooth service release, designed really just to fix some of the issues of the previous v6.0 builds.

Here's the list of the most important changes:
    - improved compatibility with Windows Vista SP0/SP1
    - attempt to solve the "Windows Media Player using a red skin" problem
    - Firewall: improved compatibility with uTorrent
    - improved the sample submission process
    - introduced new CreditAlert feature (US customers only)
    - improved load time of WebRep IE plugin
    - improvements in the silent installer
    - improvements in the sandbox module
    - added Thai and Serbian language packs

Download links:
    Free AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1184/setup_av_free.exe
    Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1184/setup_av_pro.exe
    IS: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1184/setup_ais.exe

You can either install from scratch, or over an existing installation of avast (any version). Users of the previous pre-release build (6.0.1021) can also use the built-in program updater.

Thanks
    Vlk

2. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

that really useless in a security program.. but thats just what i think.

4. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

What is it..CreditAlerto_O
    p.s. But maybe it can protect from ID theft? Plus I gather it's probably a credit rating system? Not sure if that's a bonus to an Av?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Its not, it is more crap for the product. Where is the web police on this one. You folks, well some of you, butchered Avira over a toolbar so do not let a credit reporting app slip away please.

6. Trooper

What was wrong with that? Maybe if you used an av product for more than a week or so, your statement would hold some merit. Until that time comes, we all reserve the right to our opinion. Or is that going to be taken away in the next version?

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You made 2 good points and yes, you all do reserve the right to your opinion. I thought that meant me to.:(

Keep in mind that in 13 hours, my statements will hold merit.:)

As far as next version, Avast is pumping them out, no doubt, but for whose benefit?

8. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

whats is the improved the sample submission process?

what did they make better?

9. Trooper

You do and I should have mentioned that. Sorry for a huge part that should have been included in my post. Im not going to crucify Avira, just wish things did not turn out as they did. How is Panda by the way?

Avast is indeed pumping them out. I only hope its for the customer benefit and not their own. However we will see when this update drops. Im not a fan of this credit thing until I see it.

Cheers.

10. Dermot7

C'mon trjam, I honestly didn't know what that CreditAlert thing was, or how it came into the picture, believe me. I think it may only apply to California? I'm running avast! on 1 machine, and will probably try this beta on it.
    As regards Avira, and "Internet Police", then imo you exaggerate a lot about people's rightful concerns. Anyway Avira is ot here.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Advice noted, long day here.:doubt:

12. Dermot7

Cheers man...we all get a bit worked up over these AVs that we love so much, for some reason. :)

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Not mentioned in the changelog is that they also updated the Webrep plugin to be Firefox 5 compatible.

I'd like to know this as well.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ever thought that this feature is optional and is not a requirement for something like the stupid pointless toolbars?

And from what i understand this thing is the same as my sister has with Mastercard credit card. A payable service (very small yearly fee) where she gets a SMS each time a transaction is made using her credit card. If a transaction is made and it wasn't you, then it's very likely that someone else got the info somehow and you can act before its too late.

Free version of this service just notifies you about made transactions where payable also gives you extra info like the amount used for the ransfer and other info. Quite honestly i think this feature is pretty cool if it is what i think it is.

15. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Time to fire up the Kawasaki and get some air........surge the adrenaline!

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It already is, after a force install.

What I'm surprised about is improved Vista SP0/SP1 compatibility, which should've happened a long time ago when they were still actively supported.

17. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Farm out and Gravy!! thanks

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It was compatible before already. They just imporved something. What's wrong with that? It could just as well be some thing that they learned during builds for Win7 SP1 you know...

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Windows 7 SP1 (or another supported OS like Vista SP2) I can understand, but improving compatibility on an end of support version and near end of support? What's the point?

20. i_g

i_g Registered Member

Actually, no, it's something different ;)
    This is not about the money on your account(s) and the changes thereof. It's about your credit score - which might be relevant if you wanted to apply for a loan (and which might change e.g. if somebody impersonated you and applied for a loan in your name).

Windows Vista, no matter what SP, is listed as a supported OS for the product... so what's wrong with making sure that the announced system requirements are valid?
    Since everyone is so surprised, it's clear that the incompatibility was rather tiny and hardly anybody noticed... but it's still good to have it fixed, right?

Also, the fact that Microsoft's support for something ends doesn't necessarily imply that everyone else has to do the same. Like it or not, many users don't really care.

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ppl still use Win98 even though it's life cycle ended like a millennium ago. Ppl still use Win2k/WinXP even though its cycle ended quite some time ago. Why would they stop supporting Vista when it's a pretty much new OS. And considering its similarities with Windows 7 it's by far not outdated.
    I mean you should be happy that they still support users with other than the very latest OS instead of criticizing that. If you have to fix things it doesn't really matter how old it is. Firefox 3.6 is still getting updates even though we are already at version 5. It just makes sense and i really don't see anything wrong with that.

22. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hello all,

Some explanation from Vlk on the Avast Forum should reassure everyone.:)

CreditAlert. I see a lot of discussion about this feature, and also some confusion (probably resulting from a lack of information from our side). So, let me explain it in a few sentences now. CreditAlert is a completely voluntary service that you actually have to sign up for. The sign up process includes providing part of your social security number as well as a verification of your identity (we don't want other people to be receiving your credit alerts - so as part of the sign up process, you could be asked some tricky question that no one else can answer (similar to e.g. setting up an account in some banks etc)). This basically answers the concerns about the feature being "pushy" (or prominently presented in the avast UI) - it's actually the opposite, you will have to produce some non-trivial activity to enable the feature. Now, once you sign up, you will get an alert whenever your credit changes in a suspicious way. The optional paid version will then allow you to review all the changes in a high level detail, as well as to take some remediation actions if needed.

23. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Is there an opt out for the Credit Alert service during the installation of Avast?

24. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Not a string related to Credit Alert was released to translators.
    I'm not sure it will appear while avast installation. Anyway, it won't be installed by default. It would be, as far I know, an opt in and not an opt out feature.

By the way, I'm one of the avast translators for the last 8 years :)

25. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

annyone can tell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.