** New Beta **: Free ZoneAlarm AntiVirus 10

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fax, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Too much text may be the prob as I really mentioned, suggested, requested, etc a lot of stuffs.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

By the way, tested the beta feedback form rigth now and works perfectly fine. Tested with IE8 on an old XP system.

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Try to split the requests in multiple submissions. One issue a time. Not all together.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Looks interesting, especially if it's really using Kaspersky engine. Is there any way to download it without registering beta account? I'd just like to take it for a quick spin to see how it looks and feels.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Not that I know... you need to sign up for NDA reasons.

6. carat

carat Guest

Please try it and make a little RejZoR malware test ;)

7. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Sharing info posted on Malwaretips:

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

that's really great :thumb:

9. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Any info on the 2nd beta release?

Hope they also provide the updates as the paid ones. Coz after the 1 update a day was performed I tried manual updates quite a lot of times for 2 hours 30 mins & received 2 updates. So I think ZA gives many little updates in a day so 1 autoupdate in a day is simply not worth here.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

1 update check a day is just ridiculous even for free versions. It's year 2012 for god sake, not 2001 where 1 update check per day was enough.

Other than that and few glitches i like it. The engine is indeed Kaspersky, just have no idea which version though.

Also from the looks of it, behavior blocker is in it, but i'm not sure if it's actually enabled since it's mentioning paid features on the same page. But i think you just can't change individual settings, you can either enable or disable all of them.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Latest KAV SDK version, i.e. equivalent to the current kasperky enterprise engine.

yeah, feedback them. More feedback by users more likely they will look into it. Suggest also what not to put instead. So they have something to work with. Of course, all would like everything at no price but thats not their business model.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! uses update checks every 4 hours for regular definitions so that would be a good start. Hell, i'd even go with the update every 6 hours. But 1 every 24 hours is just not enough.

13. operamail

operamail Registered Member

The firewall panel looks great.:thumb:

14. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Of course

Kaspersky V8 SDK Engine+signatures

15. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Fax...I attempted to enroll in the Beta...and when I went to the Beta page their was no download link. If you could provide me with the appropriate guidance...it would be appreciated. Sincerely...Securon

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I noticed i already had an account lol...

You need to first enroll to the beta test, type in your full name and confirm it. After you do that, you have to click enroll button again. At that point you have to confirm EULA and then you get the download. It's a bit tricky but it's easy.

Apart from 24 hour update check cycle i genuinely like this program. It's a free internet security with an excellent scan engine, decent firewall and other identity protection features, very clean interface. They should just mention Kaspersky engine around a bit more. Because only that way, they'll gain some ground against well established freebies like avast!, AVG and MSE. It will be especially tough competition for MSE and if i had to chose, i'd pick ZoneAlarm AV+FW over MSE easily. MSE is good but it always fails to impress me.

17. gery

gery Registered Member

:thumb:
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

18. carat

carat Guest

Avast checks every 4 hours but usually you just get 1 update in 24 hours (just to be fair) ;)

Is it possible to install it without firewall? :doubt:

19. fax

fax Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2031126&postcount=73

yeah, this is getting a bit long thread, so... easy to overlook messages. :)

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

To be fair, you get 2 updates per day minimum + like 12 Streaming updates.
    Also the problem with 24 hour check cycles, you can miss updates for 2 days if it happens for update to just miss the update check. Where with avast! you'll get it in the next 4 hours for sure. It's a massive delay between signature release and signature update, even if it's just 1 or 2 actually released per day... These days when most threats are active for few hours this means you're using an obsolete protection...

Update released on Monday at 9:00, program checked at 8:00 (1 hour earlier) and there was no update. It will now miss all updates till Tuesday 8:00 when next update is scheduled.

Same scenario with avast!, Monday at 9:00, program checks at 8:00 (1 hour earlier) and there is no update. It will only miss updates till 12:00 the same day! Not to mention Streaming updates that are likely to be released and also actually updated all 4 hours in between the main definitions check intervals.
    In a free version! See the difference? That's why i was NEVER a fa of AVG's, AVIRA's, MSE's and now ZoneAlarm's 24 hour update check cycles. It's just not enough for year 2012. Timing means everything these days.

21. fax

fax Registered Member

This will in practise never happen, updates are released (server side) every 30 minutes to 1.5 hour. So, for your scenario to be valid the server should not be updated for many hours. This is not really possible. Since everyday you will have an average of 15 updates mininum (bertween 20 to 50 normally). But of course I agree, 1 update per day is not enough. If this is kept, users should manually update whenever needed.

Feedback ZA here: ZoneAlarm Beta Feedback Form

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, you don't understand. What good are 500 released updates (on server) per day if YOUR client checks for updates only every 24 hours? Sure, you'll eventually get them the next day, but it will be the next day which means 1 day too late if you ask me...

23. fax

fax Registered Member

yes, one day less, indeed. Thats correct. But your example of 8AM no updates is flawed, it will never be the case due to frequency of updates at server side. So if you did not get the 9AM update you got the 7:30AM update. Clearer? ;)

Also the logic in retail versions (not sure its the same in the free) is that if your PC was off at the time of the single scheduled update (8AM) you will get it in the first 30 minutes after the boot up of the PC.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Still, either way, there will be 24 hour gap. Which is a huge number no matter how you turn it. 6 hours check cycle should be the maximum imo, even for free versions.

25. fax

fax Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.