New AVG Free Edition 7.5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TAP, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

CPU at a constant 98%? I get 100% CPU when I browse at certain sites and a big download starts. If it stayed that way, that would be an extreme drag on my system and productivity. :thumbd:

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey ccsito, good to hear from you. The System Idle Process is what I'm talking about, which is at 97 and 98 under the CPU Usage, and I understand this number is suppose to be that high. It was at the same 98 with Windows Firewall and different AV's on board at any given time as well. Anyway, right now AVG's three processes are actually under 1200K (1.2MB right?) in Memory Usage, and 7792K (7.8MB correct?) in Virtual Memory Size. The avgupsvc. exe sometimes goes higher, which raises these numbers slightly. Antivir was extremely low on Memory Usage too on my PC, but I prefer AVG Free with it's improved (IMO) Interface, and it seems to run well with CPF and Cyberhawk. I do miss some things about Antivir though, like the way you could see what files the Guard scanned in Real Time. See ya, and have a good Weekend.

3. vlk

vlk AV Expert

It's pointless to compare memory usage of the individual processes as some AV products (AVG including) do the actual scanning in a kernel-mode driver. I.e. the whole engine is in a driver and you won't see its memory consumption belonging to any process (in Task Manager).

What you can do to get a basic estimate of the memory consumption of a product is go to the Performance tab in Task Manager, and compare the "Kernel Memory" -> "Total" value WITH and WITHOUT the product installed. Add this to the sum of the "VM size" values of all the processes belonging to the product, and you get a number you can start with.

Cheers
    Vlk

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Is there any point worrying about memory consumption?.It runs just fine on my machine and i have a measly 256meg.The point is that it doesnt slow down my machine,and it is extremly stable.My RAM is always at around 0 because thats what its there for....to be used,and virtual memory is as big as i or windows sets it.I honestly cant see the importance of memory ,on todays modern computers,with huge RAM and virtual space.
    ellison

5. duke1959

The bottom line for me is. I like the Interface of AVG Free 7.5, and hope it's true that the Heuristics are improved. The only other AV I would ever switch to is Antivir PE at this point. I'm sure all of them will change over time however, and you never know which one will become more popular. What know though is I'm keeping AVG Free and am going to stop this obsession with PC software, at least for now. LOL.

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

If you start using alot of virtual memory you will start to slow down.

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

True but AVG isnt going to affect VM to any such extent, unless your hard drive is so full that you have little space left,but thats another matter.
    ellison

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

After testing it out I can say that Grisoft has done a good improvement on the heuristics engine with version 7.5 :)

9. duke1959

I've noticed on some days AVG updates more than than just once a day now as well. I wonder if this has to do with buying Ewido?

10. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I don't think so.

I think the reason for releasing updates several time a day is that they've been overwhelmed by so many many variant of I-Worm/Stration (aka. Win32:Warezov family).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  11. duke1959

Oh, I see thanks TAP. Do you use and like the new version of AVG Free? I do, but I just wish it had one more Autoupdate and I'd really be satisfied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.