New AVG Free Edition 7.5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TAP, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAP

TAP Registered Member

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version will be available very soon. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/v5

New in AVG 7.5

- Improved virus detection based on better heuristics and NTFS data streams scanning
    - Smaller installation and update files
    - Improved user interface
    - Windows Vista ready
    - and more

It's still extremely light with new some sleek interface.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

3. minacross

minacross Registered Member

4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think it sadly doesn't have anti-spyware though..

5. minacross

you can download the free on-demand spyware scanner (formerly known as ewido) fron thier website ;)

6. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Because of a variants of I-Worm/Stration, Grisoft has to release a signature approx 5 times a day on October 19, 2006. As I said before, AVG Free has no real auto update module, it has a scheduled task for check/update only once a day, so it's not good for users who don't know about these 5 updates a day.

Isn't a false sense of security fo so-called auto update feature? when in fact, there's no real auto update.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I assume that one could manually update as often as desired, but I have not used AVG for a long time. Am I incorrect?

Best,
    Jerry

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i still find it very hard to believe when people have something bad to say about something FREE.

also this FREE software will protect you from a massive range of malware, for nothing.

gets the big :thumb: from me

9. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Yes. Users can do manually update as often as desired, but the whole point is, how do they know when they should do manually update to get the latest signature? it's a lot better if their antivirus can automatically check/update evey 1 hour or 4 hours (as avast! Home automatically does or AntiVir's flexible update scheduled task) when they're online to get the latest signature as soon as possible.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the new interface looks better though i still find the icon rather bland.
    i think that may be correct. i dont know if anyone would want to manually launch the update every few hours tho.
    IMHO, just because a software is free doesnt excuse it from being criticized.

and of course, no software is perfect.
    avast and antivir will also protect your computer for free.

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have been waiting for this update (7.5). I want to install it on my Family PC.

Instinct tells me there is some sort of minor conflict either between BOClean and AVS or OutPost and AVS. Pauses and hesitations...but who knows? :doubt:

12. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

After trying AVG Free, Avast, AOL AVS, CA Antivirus 2007, and Antivir PE. I will honestly say that AVS was my favorite, followed closely by Antivir. However, AVG Free seems to let my PC be more responsive as far as speed, (logging on and off, opening programs, and accessing internet) which is what I like. Also I can live with one update a day, verses these things about the other ones. Slight slowdown and IMO cumbersome Interface. (Avast). Possible CHKDSK problem (AVS). Very plain, but at the same time somewhat confusing Interface. (CA Antivirus). And having to go through a special proceedure so a Notify Window doesn't come up while it updates, but still have the Guard disappear when it does. (Antivir). I know your asking, "But what about the detection rates?" Well the new version of AVG 7.5 promises to be better, and I believe it will be. Also the Interface looks great and is easy to use, again IMO, and without E-Mail Scanner installed, all three of it's remaining processes are right now running under 2.5 MB of RAM in Task Manager. So AVG Free 7.5 has now become my favorite, and along with Comodo Firewall and Spyware Terminator (With HIPS activated) I feel I have enough protection even with only one Automatic Update a day, and as I said I can live with that as I am now finally happy with all my PC protection choices. But boy that Cyberhawk seems cool. LOL.

13. TAP

TAP Registered Member

What about avast! skinless interface? I think it's so simple than AVG.

Ha ha, I don't think so, AVG Free seems to use about 25 MB of memory on my machine (no e-mail scanner), not far from avast!.

14. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Screenshot. The Mem Usage column is just a half of the whole story, if you want the real lowest memory usage scanner, I think Dr.Web is for you.

Attached Files:

• mem.png
      mem.png
      File size:
      3.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  15. duke1959

Hey I liked everyone of the free AV's I used, honestly I did, so I certainly don't mean any criticism any of them here. It's just that there is something about the new AVG Free that I like a little bit more. As far as the memory usage, right now it's just under 1750K, but the VM that your talking about TAP, is still only a combined 7620K on my PC. I remember Avast ran twice as much as that in just memory alone, but I never checked how much the VM was for it, or any of the other AV's I used so i don't know what they were. As far as the responsiveness and speed of my PC, Antivir was very good in regards to that and may have been a little better than AVG Free 7.1. And while AVS did well in that department too, I simply feel with AVG Free 7.5 on board now, my PC seems as faster than at any other time, and as I mentioned there is just something about this new version that appeals to me personally.

16. gevin

gevin Registered Member

I always though the new AVG Free will bundle on-demand AS too, since they have already give a way the free on-demand AS. If not, that will be the 1st free antimelware.

AVG AV Free 7.5 + AVG AS Free 7.5 + Comodo PF is good free internet suit now. i think i will help my friend install them if they want a free suit.

17. duke1959

I do use AVG Anti-Spyware and SuperAntiSpyware as on demand scanners.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't find it inconvenient to run an update from time to time as I am using the computer. Avast's updates are very fast, but I do not know about AVG.

As for free, I accept that all the features are not there. If I want them then I buy it.
    However, I don't think the fact that one is free makes it immune from criticism if it involves detection or smooth running. The lack of several updates per day is not a valid one from my view.

Best, Jerry

19. minacross

this is on my pc ;)

Attached Files:

20. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

My experience was about 16MB, 2.5 sounds ridiculously too low no offense (im referring to Duke whom you quoted)

21. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

How about the VM column (mele20 showed the RAM and the Vm column) That should equal about 25 MB added together.

Alphaltura1

22. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Here's a screenshot of the memory usage of AVG Internet Security Suite. Only antivirus and antispyware installed, other module such as e-mail scanner, antispam, firewall not installed.

70 MB+

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Attached Files:

23. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

70 MB that could be a new record for Guiness even for a suite. I am realy surpriced. I remember AVG AV as a light application, but that was arround 2 years ago.

24. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

does AVG have active protection like spyware terminator and Avast?

25. duke1959

Ok, right now AVG Free looks like this in my Task Manager for Memory Usage. avgcc. exe 244K, avgamsvr. exe 568K, and avgupsvc. exe 1520K. Isn't that 2.3MB? As for Virtual Memory Size. avgcc. exe 3824K, avgamsvr. exe 2764K, and avgupsvc. exe 1192K. Isn't that 7.8MB? Seriously, isn't this how you figure these things? If so, then my Comodo Firewall's two services come to 22MB of Memory Usage, and 18MB for Virtual Memory Size. While my Cyberhawk's two processes come to 15MB for Memory Usage, and 6.8MB for Virtual Memory Size. I don't know how to send my Task Manager Processes, but I will if someone tells me how. I'm certainly not offended and don't mind being corrected if I am wrong about these things. Oh, and FireFox is at 29000K or 2.9MB right now, and my CPU Usage is at a constant 98. Take care everyone and please let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.