New Antivirus suggestions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Worry, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worry

Worry Registered Member

Currently using SAVCE10 and want a change, sorry for all these topics I've made please reply to this one.

Can someone suggest me an Anti virus, please don't say KAV/KIS as I hate it, its so slow and hoggy.

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Than you probably did not try the latest mp1 version. Why not try F-Secure 2008??

3. Worry

Worry Registered Member

Thanks for the speedy reply, I was looking into F-secure but the interface is horrible, I know that aint all of an AV, but I know its a good AV, solid but it just doesnt go with me, not my style.

Is the KAV8 improved in speed, processes etc?

Another try on the suggestion.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Worry,

A search of the forum will indicate what's available and general opinions by the posters. A good starting list would be the test subjects/vendors listed at either www.av-comparatives.org or AV-Test.org. Trial what seems to meet your basic needs and decide from there.

Blue

5. Worry

Worry Registered Member

Thank you BlueZannetti for your help I was looking into F-prot but it didn't do too well in the Av-comparitives tests and lacks behind F-secure.

Is F-prot any good?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Kaspersky v8 is still not released - still an alpha version . Don't make any conclusions from any alpha technical release.

7. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I agree on this one.
    For now it works but it is still in alpha phase. Not even beta. It will take a very long time before it gets really stable

8. Worry

Worry Registered Member

OK is F-prot any good?

9. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Try it out for yourself and assess.
    Everyone has different opinions, likes and dislikes. Also some AVs may work well on other's computers and may not work well on yours. See for yourself which works best for yours.
    Eg, You say Kaspersky don't work for you... works for many others though.

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I would not base a decision only on the results shown there, or any one testing site, as you will probably never come across the majority of these samples.

Very low system imprint. Good detection now with the new Eldorado heuristics. If you look at the recent results for FPAV 6 over at the two most reliable testing sites, av-comparatives and av-test.org, you will see that it is classified as a Standard/Tier 2 AV based on its heuristics and the detection of zoo malware.

http://blog.chip.de/0-security-blog/microsoft-verbessert-seinen-virenscanner-20070821/
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Overall it is ranked lower than the likes of Avira, KAV, NOD but don't forget that, as already mentioned, most of these samples will not be seen by the average user. In addition, the detection rate and heuristic ability of FPAV 6 is improving rapidly so if you are a low risk surfer it is a good choice as your sole AV. I have yet to be infected by malware when using F-Prot/FPAV as a primary scanner.

A low memory footprint, little effect on system performance in real-time, stable, fast on-demand scan speed and good support are additional features which you should also consider apart from its detection rate. BUT the biggest advantage of F-Prot is if you have several computers; the Home license covers up to 5 of them; unbeatable value.

However, it is best to trial any AV software and see whether it suits you and your computer(s).

11. risl

risl Registered Member

I would recommend Dr.Web to almost anyone who knows a bit more of computers than the average user. If you are not a risk user or don't need a full suite, Dr.Web might be an excellent tool.

+frequent updates, 5-10 virus definition updates per day
    +new heuristic technology in 4.44 and long traditions in developing heuristic technology
    +Dr.Web has been developed since -92, they are experienced
    +stable, have not seen any errors
    +very configurable
    +realtime monitor is extremely light on resources
    +good default settings
    +thorough and has good archive and packer support
    +has command line scanning ability
    +cheap price, 40-50 euros for 2 years

-last antivirus tests have not been very succesfull for dr.web
    -reputation of having false positives
    -can be hard for a non techy user to tweak settings
    -slow on demand scanner, but has express mode to scan only critical areas
    -some who appreciate good looks might not like the user interface

.. this is all I can come up with

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I can only think of one thing about SAV 10 that is a big negative and that is very high memory usage. The latest crop of Symantec products, NAV/NIS 2008, Norton 360, and Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 all use much less memory.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

what he said.... :thumb:

i will only recommend something im willing to use myself, or purchase.

i own a few different licences, with drweb always remaining as #1 to me.

so, my recommendations would be:

Drweb
    AVG AM / Suite
    F-secure AV / Suite
    Bitdefender AV / Suite

ive only just started to look into Rising Antivirus, its very promising but i shall leave my comments about this one, for now.

recommendations that i dont own, would be:

Nod32
    Norton 2008
    Avast (FREE!!!!)

thats pretty much it, try the trials and enjoy them.

dont rush into a purchase, as trials are free.

14. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, you have plenty of recommendations now, Worry, so read a few threads about each of them and give a few of them a trial. Best of luck.

If you have specific product questions, feel free to either reply to an existing thread discussing that point, or start a new topic about it. Just don't ask any open ended "what should I use?" or "I'm looking at these two, which is best?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.