New Antivirus for my daughter

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Antarctica, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hello,
    Right now my daughter uses Norton Antivirus 2003 but she does not want to renew it. She is asking me to install a new one for her.

Myself I am using NOD32 but I think it may be a little to complicated for her. What would you suggest, something good, easy to run and to configure. I was thinking about Dr. Web but I am not sure if it is friendly user? Any other
    suggestion?

Thanks for your help.

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

BitDefender and F-Secure are very easy to use as well, or consider avast! :)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Probably the easiest av to use and configure is Eztrust Antivirus 2005 the detection rates are respectable and it defines the meaning set and forget info here

4. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

firstly id worry about getting completely rid of norton, its near impossible to get rid of it so that it doesent conflict with he new antivirus u install.

drweb is fairly straightforward once its installed and configured in my opinion, so if u install it and go over the settings for her it shouldnt be a big problem

5. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Why nod32? Her daddy could support her for any problem (also Daddy Cool):)

6. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

7. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

EZ's detection rate is pretty poor though isnt it ? i dont think i would install it on a computer belonging to a person who perhaps wouldnt be able to notice that he/she was infected if the AV missed it.

another one to consider may be panda, which i think u can still get for free here http://www.pandasecurity.com/survey/
    oh and kav5 is pretty easy to use too

8. bigc73542

ezav's detection is not poor actually it is as good or better than any mainstream av check here and take a look at pandas here . these test are noy definitive but they do give you an idea of what the av's can do. Take a look at this popular av and compare it to ezav here

9. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

big, ez scores poorly over at virus.gr ,dont know how reliable those tests are though

10. bigc73542

I dont pay a lot of attention to that site.

11. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. bigc73542

here are a few results from checkmark

Attached Files:

13. bigc73542

Don't get me wrong here, there are some really good av's available including ezav but he wanted an easy to use good av and I believe that ezav is probably the easiest that is still going to give decent protection. When his kids get a little older they may want an av with more user settings available and they can make that choice at that time. ;)

14. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

15. bigc73542

Like I stated earlier I don't trust their results and don't use their site. They disagree with the established av testing sites that have been around for a long time quite often and comparing any av's detection rate against Kavs is an act of futility anyway :doubt:

16. dog

dog Guest

Hi Tahoma, ;)

As you said above:
    Without get into a discussion regarding virus.gz and taken this thread OT ... Consider the source and stick with Main Stay Authorities. ;) If you do a forum search for AV Tests you'll find lots of opinions on virus.gz. ;)

Here is the thread I'm thinking of - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=77033

Steve

17. IBK

IBK AV Expert

18. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

19. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I have come to believe that for "novices", the better the AV detection capabiities, the better it is for everyone all-around. Novices are far more likely to stray into unknown territory and get infected - and not even know it for quite some time. It happens to my friends and family all of the time which is why I usually ended up spending tons of time cleaning and then installing one of the top-rated products.

In your case, I would recommend either Kaspersky with extended database (sans ADS) or NOD32 with an AT like Ewido or BOClean.

Just let them run and if your daughter has a question, it gives you the opportunity of a life-time to show-off how much you know. Parents never get enough respect as far as I am concerned. ;)

Rich

20. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

ok, im just trying to help out, maybe im wrong. but i personally wouldnt use EZ. the guy wanted an AV that was easy to use and also a good one. if easy to use was th enoly criteria then no AV would be the answer, nothing is easier to use and configure than nothing

21. bigc73542

vet didn't fail at av-comparatives it just didn't meet some criteria they use. At VB the vet engine detects better than the inoculate engine.
    here

Attached Files:

22. IBK

IBK AV Expert

You can select in the options whcih engine you want to use and for what (on-demand / on-access).

23. bigc73542

The engine selection is only on the eTrust server promo 7. EZAV uses the Ca vet engine.

24. waters

waters Registered Member

The promo has duel scanner

25. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Ah, ok :).
    VET does not reach the 85%tell you that even if VET does not reach the 85%, it is for sure much much better than the 52% that virus.gr gave to it. The percentages on that site bring you to wrong conclusions I think; it makes soem AV looking much worser than they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.