New Alternative To MS Office

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LockBox, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Corel says you don't like WordPerfect? Fine, we'll give you a clone of MS Office and make it very light. They did it. It comes in a box with no disks, it's all on a Flash Drive which made for simple installation on my Eee netbook. Great on the desktop too. Really it's a fascinating product. This is Corel sans Wordperfect - it will open WP files, but no wpd saves - this is all about attracting MS Office users with a light program that almost duplicates Office. Without all the Microsoft annoyances.

As I said, Corel Home Office has no Wordperfect - it has Corel Write, which is a program that has a proprietary Corel format out-of-the box, but it's obvious Corel expects NOBODY to keep it that way. You can change the default in 30-seconds and you're good to go with, basically, an MS Office clone. Interface? Your choice! Here's what Corel says:

Familiar workspace
    Select your preferred workspace so you instantly feel comfortable. Choose Tabbed Toolbars, familiar to people experienced with Microsoft Office 2007 Ribbon Toolbars; or regular-sized toolbars, familiar to users of Microsoft Office 2003 or Corel WordPerfect Office.

And they're not kidding. I got mine today and it is really a great piece of software. It also comes with semi-clones of Excel, Powerpoint, etc.

The best descriptions can be found at Amazon. Lots of reviews and Corel's provided information is extensive complete with video. It was just released a few months ago with little fanfare, but it's got some great ratings. And so far for me? I Love It! The flash drive was a nice touch, too.

Oh, it's only $39!

edit: Just discovered they have a free, fully-functional, trial download 30-days.
    Corel Home Office Home Page

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

did u try to d/l it? its a big ~Possibly offensive phrase removed~ mannnn , its first want mail and stuff , than u d/l some odd plugin who claim to be install to the browswer !! wtf!! and finaly it doesnt even start to d/l !!
    ~Possibly offensive phrase removed~ man , i stick to open office ;)

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
  3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

It so closely resembles MS Word I feel a lawsuit coming on.

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

How does one make this portable?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.