Networking: What are best practices to set up a simple network drive at home?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Valder, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Valder

Valder Registered Member

No NAS or redundancy is needed, just a simple hard drive connecting via USB (then I need such a router which supports it; I am not an expert on routers) to a home network. Or via Ethernet, see a no-frills solution: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vocore-a-coin-sized-linux-computer-with-wifi

I know Seagate offers a Wi-Fi drive called the Wireless Plus, for twice the price of a regular external USB hard drive. I don't need that.

The setup should be compatible with Mac, Linux and Windows PCs as well (not an extreme requirement, I guess).

And first and foremost: it should be safe and secure! If I understand correctly, so called "home cloud" solutions (such as https://owncloud.org/ ), where you want to access your data stored at home via the Internet from anywhere, are just disasters waiting to happen (you are better off using a commercial solution; they have better know-how on how to secure their services than you'll ever have). But I don't need that; only to access data from the home, from computers but from a central, single drive (we can add access to mobile devices such as Android or iOS maybe later, but that is not important at this point).

How to do it? I am not a networking expert, either.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

Moved Thread to This Forum for More Exposure!

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

4. Valder

Valder Registered Member

How much does it cost to acquire such a machine if I do not happen to have a spare one, which also consumes near zero electricity and is cheaper than the Seagate network drive I mentioned?

You see: this may not be the most straightforward solution to many folks - including me - to attach a simple drive to the network; thanks.

5. MrBrian

I guess that depends where you get it.

Do any of these interest you?

6. Valder

Valder Registered Member

@MrBrian

Thanks for your help; I may not understand 100% what do you want to convey altogether.

In post #3 you sent an article titled Turn an Old Computer Into a Do-Anything Home Server with FreeNAS 8

In post #5 you reply to the above with an article titled Top five Wi-Fi routers with built-in network storage; as if they were the same topic. At this point I have to assume you assume Old PC = Wi-Fi router!? Sorry. Totally lost the line in what you want to say altogether.

Any native speaker understand better what is going on here? Disclaimer: I am not a native speaker.

Long story short: the article Top five Wi-Fi routers with built-in network storage is helpful, thank you. Ideally he only hardware I need for this setup is a router and a USB hard drive. Or similar. However, knowing this article my original question still applies. Without any modifications. Thanks

7. MrBrian

Those articles are two different methods.

The storage is going to have to be connected to some device, whether it's a computer or a router. Which do you prefer? Post #5 even lists some routers with built-in storage.

8. MrBrian

9. MrBrian

10. MrBrian

11. Valder

Valder Registered Member

12. MrBrian