Network Slowdown

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by JeremyWW, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

I rarely have a problem with NOD32 until now. AV V4, Win 7 Pro x64.

I noticed over the last couple of days a massive internal network slowdown - I can't be precise about when it started unfortunately, but it's very recent, as is the upgrade to W7 x64.

Yesterday I was copying large files from the desktop PC to the NAS drive and noticed that Windows was cheerfully telling me that a 4.5 GB file would take around an hour to copy, as opposed to the usual 10+ minutes or so. Speed was around 997 Kbps. Also, access to the NAS drive web interface was very slow. Played around with a lot of ideas until out of sheer frustration I removed NOD32 completely and tried again - instantly the same file had a transfer speed of around 6+ Mbps! I confess I have not re-installed NOD32 - yet - I just wanted to check here to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue and if so what the solution was. This is not a network NOD32 install - NOD32 runs standalone with default settings on each machine which is purely a home network environment with the NAS acting an an always on backup / media server.

Any thoughts? I'm a long term user of NOD32 and don't want to go elsewhere. Thought I'd try here before calling the support line.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you tried this?

3. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Does this apply to EAV Marcos? Seems to be related to ESS. Also the slowdowns are across my local net only.

4. gazb

gazb Registered Member

You can always set a limit on size of the file to be scanned allowing you to exclude certain large files. This is in Advanced setup (F5)>Antivirus and Antispyware>ThreatSense engine parameter setup [SETUP]>Limits

One hour does however seem excessive so it would pertain to an issue.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, please narrow it down to the particular module by trying the following, one at a time, until you find the culprit:
    - disable real-time protection via gui
    - disable web protection via gui
    - disable automatic real-time protection start and restart the computer
    - disable web protection by renaming C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\epfwtdi.sys in safe mode

Let us know about your findings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.