Network Q: Strict Protection or Allow Sharing?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by alyssa37, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alyssa37

alyssa37 Registered Member

Hi,

I'm still in the trial period of Smart Security but I think that I will purchase a 2-User Pack soon. Yesterday a "New network detected" window appeared and told me to choose the protection mode of my computer in the network Subnet: 192.168.100.0 / 255.255.255.0. I was unable to access IE 7 until I ticked "Allow Sharing (not recommended)."

Today, when I open Smart Security and select Setup > Change the protection mode of my computer in the network I see a window which informs me that "this computer is a member of several subnets. Select the subnet for which you want to change the protection mode:"
    Subnet: 169.254.0.0 / 255.255.0.0
    Subnet: 98.203.208.0 / 255.255.255.0

Edit: I have found that if I tick Strict Protection for either Subnet my internet access is not impeded.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  2. ethernal

ethernal Registered Member

hi!

the 169.254... adress is "self assigned", it showed up when your computer couldnt get a ip adress from your dhcp server, so it just made one up. :)

the difference between "allow sharing" and "strict" is how permissive the firewall is. if our are connected straight to the internet, there is no reason to allow people to access your shared folders/files/printers, hence "strict" is prefered.

if you are on a small network with some kind of perimiter security (like a home router for example) you can use "allow sharing" to open the stuff needed to share files and printers with your other computers at home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.