Network problem with Sunbelt Kerio Firewall.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by beynac, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beynac

beynac Registered Member

I have a desktop pc running Windows XP Home SP2, NOD32 and Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall v4. This is connected to a Belkin Wireless G router by ethernet cable. The router is, in turn, connected to my cable modem by another ethernet cable. My wife's new laptop is running Windows Media Edition SP2, the same firewall and Avast AV. She has a wireless connection to the router.

I connected this up yesterday, installed the router on my pc and set up the network using the Network Connection Wizard, running the disc produced on my wife's laptop.

We can both connect to the internet with no trouble. File and printer sharing is the problem. If I try to log on to either computer through the network (ie either direction) I get timed out. If I disable the firewall on one of them, I am then able to connect to that computer. What is confusing me is that if I reactivate the firewall the connection still works fine. It's as if the firewall is blocking the original attempt to connect, but is quite happy to allow the traffic once the connection is established.

I am unhappy with having to disable the firewalls, albeit briefly, while establishing the connection.

I'm probably missing something very simple with the firewall configuration. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello beynac, Welcome to Wilders.

First, open Kerio,.. Network Security->trusted area(tab). Here you should see your network(Lan) address, set this as trusted. Then select the "Applications(tab)" and you will see (under description) NETBIOS (or Microsoft File and Printer Sharing), Permit in/out for trusted.

3. beynac

beynac Registered Member

Hi Stem.

Brilliant. Thanks very much - that's sorted it out! :D

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi beynac,

Your welcome,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.