Network Printer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bamaman66, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

I have a printer in a network. The printer works fine connected to the PC but when I try to print from my laptop it will not print. It shows that it is offline and I have not been able to get it online. I would appreciate some guidance.

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I would check the permissions from your PC of the printer, I gave everyone print permissions on my network (printer properties dialogue, security tab).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Are we talking Windows?
    Cheers,
    Mrk

4. bamaman66

I checked and the printer is set to share. My pc is windows xp home edition.

5. bamaman66

Printer Online

I have a home network consiting of a pc, printer, and laptop. Ican not get the printer online on the laptop. I have turned the printer off and back on. I have disconnected the cable from the printer and connected it again and the printer stills shows it is offline when I try to print from the laptop.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Re: Printer Online

Any error messages?
    What OS is the PC and laptop?
    I presume the printer is connected to the PC?

I have found on my home network I cannot print from a machine with Vista Ultimate OS to my printer connected to XP. I managed to get around this with setting up a Port, LPT1.

7. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have just set up my first network this evening and I was having a similar problem between Vista HP (laptop) and Ultimate (desktop). I set up the printer for sharing and could see it in my network. But when I tried to print a test page it would fail. After fooling around with it I found out I had to right click on the printer on my laptop and select "connect to...".

I am tickled pink right now as I have my first laptop and my first network working smoothly :D I hope you get yours sorted out soon.

8. bamaman66

Where did you right click on your printer to solve your problem? I right clicked on the printer at one place but there was no "connect to" to choose.

9. midway40

It is in my "Printers" window. Once I selected it it does not show up in the context menu anymore. Vista may be different than XP on this.

Attached Files:

10. bamaman66

At first my printer was offline which changed to ready. When I try to print I get an error-printing. My pc which has the printer attached is seen from the laptop but when you click on the pc it says you cannot access it. I can ping the pc from the laptop and I can png the laptop from the pc.

11. midway40

Sorry I can't be of much help as I am new at networking myself. I just happened to stumble upon getting the printer to work somehow.

Did you install your printer driver on your laptop? I installed just the minimum driver for my HP printer.

12. bamaman66

When I click on NETWORK on my laptop desktop I can see my pc and my laptop. When my pc is showing then I can click on it and it says I cannot access it. I can go to COMPUTER icon on desktop of laptop and access my files on the pc.

13. bamaman66

I would really appreciate a solution to my problem. I have tried everything and I still cannot print from my vista laptop. Like I said earlier I can see the printer that is connected to my pc from my laptop but I cannot access it. I have another xp laptop in my network and everything works fine with it. It seems to be vista peculiar.

14. Meriadoc

bamaman66 try to answer peoples questions. :)
    Mixed versions on Windows and the way the printer driver was written, (probably for XP.)

Turn off any software firewall, intrusion detection for now until you get it to work or make sure the ip or mac address is added to the trusted zone of the firewall.

Make sure all machines have the same workgroup name, printer shared/correct name, network discovery is on etc and turn off password network in vista, discovery protocol LLTD is installed on XP.

Now there are problems network printing, from Vista to a printer on XP Home or Pro, especially but not inclusive to Samsung and HP.

Use the adding a port workaround, install a printer locally and re-direct it to a network printer port...

look here

good resource here Bruce Sanderson

15. bamaman66

Thanks Meriadoc

Your info solved my problem. I am able to print from my vista to the network printer now.

16. Meriadoc

Glad I could help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.