Network Magic Pro and security

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Teknokrat, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

Hi!

Any Network Magic Pro users here?

I am currently trying to get as much info as possible on this product and, based on what I've found, then trial it and eventually buy it. I've found most info I needed except an answer to this:

According to the FAQ it does not support wireless encryption. Does that mean that I can not use NMP in an encrypted environment? I already use MAC filtering but I wouldn't wanna give up my WPA2-PSK encryption.

Any other input from anyone who has tested and/or are using NMP is also welcome.

regards,
    T

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am using Network Magic and like it very much. I am using it with WPA-PSK and a strong password. That works fine. I don't have WPA2.

Pete

PS. Check my gui, and the indication is it supports wpa/wpa2. However I am using the Pro version which you do pay for. The free version is stripped down, and I'd recommend you pay for it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  3. Teknokrat

Thanks Pete.
    I appreciate the quick reply. I figured I had misunderstood the setup but I was unable to verify it on their site (tried both the FAQ & their KB).

I'll add "Testrun NMP" to my huuuge "to do" list ;)

regards,
    T

4. Teknokrat

:) you edited while I wrote a reply

Actually it says in the FAQ that the product does not support wireless encryption. As long as I can use the product w/o disabling my network encryption I'm satisfied. I had the pro version in mind, yes.

I'm not 100% clear on why it says it doesn't support encrypted networks if you indeed CAN use it with an encrypted network setup?

/T

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It may relate to the free version. But I am using WPA, confirmed it in my router. Also the NM gui, confirms it, and I do use it so it works.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.