network Domain Controller

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sir_carew, Jan 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hello everyone and happy new year!
    I've a question: What's the network domain controller?, how can I know my ISP network domain controller address?
    Thanks.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

From the W2K help file:
    "...Server that manages user access to a network, which includes logging on, authentication, and access to the directory and shared resources."

Depending on the ISP and type of connection, authentication could be handled a number of different ways.

I usually relate logging on to a domain with a private network (LAN).

Regards,

CrazyM

3. sir_carew

Thanks for you quickly answer ;)
    I connect directly to the Internet via a cable modem.
    Can I obtain this information via ipconfig /all?

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi sir_carew

The authentication process by your ISP's network is probably transparent and requires no action on your part. The ISP server information available in ipconfig will be for the Gateway, DHCP and DNS servers.

Private networks/domains (ie. business environment) would require different network/system settings and a login process.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. sir_carew

Hello,
    Thanks for you answers.
    I need this information, because I have slowdowns when I start using the computer and in the ZA help, it said the following regarding this:
    Resolving a slow start up
    If Zone Labs security software is configured to load at startup, some users connected to the LAN may find that it takes several minutes for the startup process to finish.
    In most cases, this is because your computer needs access to your network's Domain Controller to complete its startup and login process, and Zone Labs security software is blocking access because the Controller has not been added to the Trusted Zone.
    To solve this problem, add the host name or IP address of your network's Domain Controller to the Trusted Zone.
    For this reason, I need know the domain controller, I need to call the ISP for that information?

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi sir_carew

That particular help topic is referring to a private network (LAN).

You could try adding your ISP's Gateway, DHCP and DNS servers to your trusted list and see if that helps.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.