Netveda Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hellie, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellie

hellie Registered Member

I am currently using NOD32 AV with the Netveda Firewall free for home use.

I am just wondering what everyone opinion is on this firewall and what the alternatives are?

I also use Prevx free, syware terminator, Syboot Search snd Destroy, Spyguard and Spyware Blaster.

Over kill probably but I recently had a spyware problem.

I can't find many opinions about the the Netveda Firewall?

I have windows XP. ATHLON 3700, 2000ddram, 300 SATA Hard disk.

Helen

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I used to use Netveda (a year ago though) but got a bit dissapointed about their support forum, not much happend there and the program didnt seem to be updated. It was quite a good program, but a bit hassle to configure (atleast for me) I switched to Looknstop (paid*), and then Tiny Personal Firewall (paid*), but ditched those too because they were hassle to configure. And the fact that Tiny PF 6 is abandoned by the owners. Now I have migrated to Comodo firewall wich I find easy to configure (ie I understand what I am doing ;) and it offer powerful features and yet it is free without any strings. Ah well you have to register to get the lifetime key and some seems to have problems with that (but you can always use a trash email account like jetable if you´re really paranoid) And the authors are very active in updating the program and giving support.

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

*yes I have alot of money to spend :D

3. hellie

hellie Registered Member

Did you try the Jetico firewall. Netveda has just failed the Combo firewall tests.

Helen

4. egghead

egghead Registered Member

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I haven't seen too many comments on the Netveda program either. If you read the company's website forums, they appear to have stopped responding to questions from users since the end of 2005. Also one user went so far as to call the corporate HQ phone number and was told to refer any questions to the help forum (which was not replying anyhow). I also read several posts on those forums that several users are all of a sudden getting prompts for a license key after having used the program for about a year. There is a possibility that the program has a one year "trial period" set so that you need to unlock the program with another key to continue using it. I personally don't like software that is supposedly free, but requires you to renew every year just to continue to use it. Since tech support seems to have vanished and some issues with a one year time limit using the program have surfaced, I decided against trying out the program. It does have some unique features not found in other firewall programs, but the hassle of a license key and possible abandonment by the software authors tells me it may not be worth the trouble to use it.

7. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

NetVeda Safety.Net probably wouldn't be my first choice for computers running Windows 2000/XP. However, I think it's worth considering for computers running Win 9x/ME since there aren't as many options available for those older operating systems.

Phil

8. jumpshot

jumpshot Registered Member

ccsito..... hear, hear, me too.
    I even downloaded a fresh copy without success, so I've now abandoned Netveda altogether.
    Just today I installed the new Beta Comodo.
    It seems significantly improved on the last firm version.
    (Fingers crossed).

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Jumpshot,
    Good luck with the Comodo firewall. I have read some good reviews from other users, but the large size and system resource usage of the program makes me hesitant to try it out. They addressed the system resource usage with the latest update. Since that is a beta version, it might still have issues. Also, I thought I read somewhere that you have to re-register every year to continue to use that program and if so, that would be another condition for me to consider before trying it out.:doubt:

10. pcalvert

"Without success"? That's rather vague. What does that mean?

Phil

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It as been a while since I installed/used this firewall, I see from the official forum that questions are still asked, but go un-answered,.. so, if this wants to develop into an "how to with Netvida" thread, that o.k. with me,... I can re-install to try and help.

12. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Originally Posted by pcalvert
    "Without success"? That's rather vague. What does that mean?

I cannot say for sure, but I think the program did not install when after he downloaded it. Or the license key issue may have came up and then blocked the installation process?

13. jumpshot

.'without success'..
    OK... I had no real complaints with the firewall, other than its confusing interface, so when I got the "your licence has expired" note, I un-installed then re-installed it.. no joy there.
    So, I un-installed it again, carefully removed and deleted all traces that remained (well those I could find) then downloaded and installed a new copy. Its setup looked good for all of 30 seconds until "your licence has expired" appeared!
    Now if it doesn't want to play I can always take my bat and ball and go home.
    Which I did.

ccsito... so far the Comodo beta just purrs.
    And their forum gets responses.
    My firewall displays "Subscription Validity: Lifetime; Licence Type: Full".
    We'll see....
    :p
    Don

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I had to drop it because the memory useage for me was high. It appeared to be unique to my system. Others were getting much better readings at the time. I don't recall the useage amount. :doubt:

15. Melih-Comodo

Melih-Comodo Former Poster

Comodo firewall licenses are for lifetime. There is no re-registartion!
    memory usage issue has been addressed.

Melih

16. xtm11

xtm11 Registered Member

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

This is from the Comodo website regarding the firewall program

After downloading and installing the firewall, just register with us and you will be sent a free license. After activation, this license will never expire.

So it looks like you don't have to keep renewing every year (unlike Netveda apparently).

18. pcalvert

I don't know, maybe you downloaded the professional version by mistake? If you check this page, you will see that there is a professional version and a non-commercial version:

http://www.netveda.com/downloads/index.htm

Phil

19. jumpshot

.. maybe you downloaded the professional version by mistake?

No Phil. I know the difference.
    And I'm not the first to have this hassle with SafetyNet.

Don

20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

If you read through the help forum messages, some users are getting a prompt for a license key after having used the program for a while. Since tech support seems to have vanished and no one has adequately provided a response to this problem, I would personally stay away from the program because I don't want to install something that will say "time's up" after a period of time. :thumbd: There are other firewalls for older systems still available to consider.

21. pcalvert

I appreciate the "heads up," and I tend to agree with you. Having said that, I haven't experienced that particular problem with NetVeda Safety.Net. I have had it working on a Win98 SE system, without problems, since the beginning of the year.

Phil

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am not sure about the license key problem. But I think the best gauge to determine if there is hidden key is to find a user who has used the program for over a year.

23. hellie

hellie Registered Member

I have never had any problems or encounter any license keys. I still like the firewall even though it is no longer being developed.

Helen

24. pcalvert

I checked the user forum to see what people were saying about this. One person said that the problem popped up after only a few weeks of use. That would seem to indicate that there's probably something else going on.

Phil

25. pcalvert

Since I was feeling impatient, and didn't want to wait until 2007 to know the answer, I decided to do a little experiment. I powered up my time machine and set the controls for 2008. I figured that ought to be far enough into the future to know if NetVeda is time-limited software. Then I booted the old PC and tried to tried to access the Administration part of NetVeda Safety.Net. BAM! I got a pop-up dialog box with the message "Your license has expired!" blah, blah, blah.

I will probably catch hell from the Time Lords for using time travel for such a trivial purpose, but I think it was worth the risk in order to prove that NetVeda Safety.Net is time-limited software. Oh, and in case you were wondering, my time machine has a name. It's called "BIOS." ;)

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.