NetScape VS Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Beginner, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beginner

Beginner Registered Member

Hello, whats up?
    I have some question about Mozilla Browser and i would very happy if anyone can to help me :)
    So, i have IE 5.5 and WIN ME. I doesn't installed IE 6 becouse he make some problems with my windows.
    My question is: it is more safe to use Mozilla than IE?
    I ask for the secure aspect.
    I would read that with IE some people can to insert with the ACTIVE X dialers or trojan horses.
    If i'm going to the IE options to the security sector.. and i check the option:
    "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins If i going to the IE options and "
    the surf become to be imposible! all the time show-up an messege than ask me if i want to approve this ACTIVE X etc etc..

I was read that the patch that Microsoft put in LiveUpdate in Ougust that have to help with the ACTIVE S problems.. doesn't help so much.. becouse.. some people can to do similar things with scripts.

So with Mozilla this problem doesn't happen? if i want for example to going log in on my Hotmail account.. it will be do any problems?

Thanks!

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Re:Mozilla VS Internet Explorer

ActiveX is only one BIG problem: this is software that is being installed on your system, without any means of control. You can have IE ask for downloading an ActiveX control, but still, this software is out of your control. There is no way that you can find out what it does to your system or if it is authorized by you to do so. In order to be able to run Flash sites, you have to have ActiveX enabled on your IE system (that will account to most of your ActiveX popups) :mad:

There's another problem: In order for IE to run smoothly, you need scripting activated. One big hole in Windows security, most worms and virusses spread by using scripts. Scripts run with administrator permissions... very bad idea...

Mozilla's script engine (Java) is more secure. ActiveX is not available, but Flash sites run without a glitch (no ActiveX needed for that), and so, without a security problem.

There will be more differences and perhaps I didn't explain it all correctly, but that's it in a nutshell. Besides: Mozilla / Firebird is mighty quick...

3. Beginner

Hi, Thanks a lot for you're answer!
    I have a question about the browser.. if i want to enter to WindowsUpdate.com with Mozilla.. i will can? it doesn't do any problems?

And.. i heard that the Mozilla Browser can to Eliminate pop-up ads without any other soft?
    Wich othe cool stuff have mozilla?

Thanks!!

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I don't know what windows version you use. If it's W2K or XP, better get Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer. It's more reliable then windowsupdate (it doesn't report all updates and it does seem to send info to Microsoft) and since Windowsupdate doesn't work with Mozilla, it's the best option.

There's a popup blocker in Mozilla, but that's not a real ad-blocker. Shop around for those (Outpost firewall has a nice ad blocking function).

Other stuff... I haven't found everyting, but there's a download manager, it's skinnable, you can use certificates and ther must be some extensions. Just check the website.

5. Beginner

Well, i was installed the browser Mozilla Firebird.. i'm very satisfied, but i have some problems :\
    1) i iwas istalled the browser.. i need to uninstall IE or that i can to leave it in my PC?
    2) Some pages (like: msn.co.il / tapuz.co.il) don't seen well or don't seen at all :-( (like: msn.co.il)
    So my question is: if i install NestCape it can will be any changes?
    3) Nestcape is safely like Mozilla Firebird?

Thanks!

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

1) don't uninstall IE, it may come in handy for:
    2) msn sites don't like other browsers, so just use IE for those sites only (if you need to visit them, I don't :D )
    3) Netscape is built on the Mozilla code, so in fact it's the same.

(uninstalling IE is virtually impossible (although there are a few projects to strip windows of all heavy stuff).

7. Beginner

Well, with your help i installed NetScape browser - i must to say WOW!!
    It's wanderful!
    So.. in the security aspect.. i protected now ye?
    (i say about the active x etc..)

Thanks a lot!! u r help me very much!!

8. meneer

meneer Registered Member

In the security aspect, you're protected browser-wise.
    Wether you are secure is also a matter of applying other security measures, as you'll learn here:
    a firewall, anti virus, anti trojan, anti spyware, anti-addware, privacy protection and a lot more...
    But indeed, changing browser is an enormous risk minimizer. While you're at it: why not also change your mail client? Outlook (Express) contains the same kind of vulnerabilities as IE ;)

- The Bat!, Foxmail, YAMC, Pegasus are some of the more secure mail clients...

9. Beginner

Hi, i use right now Netscape 7.0 and her mail program in place of Outlook Express.
    But i have a litlle problem.. whn u was installed Netscape with the browser installed in my PC the program AOL Messenger.
    How i can to delete him withot delete the browser?

Thanks!

10. JayK

JayK Poster

Keep IE for windows updates.

There are extensions that allow you to use activex in Mozilla :)

11. Beginner

So i have NetScape right now.
    i'm very like this browser!
    Anyway, I want to change the OE for other soft.. more secure.
    The problem is tha uf i want to install the Netscape mail soft i must to install her instant messenger - and i don't want it.
    So.. do u know any program that is like OE but more secure of OE

Thanks!

12. pin

pin Registered Member

have you tried Thunderbird mail client? i like it.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

13. JayK

JayK Poster

Personally, I would have recommended Mozilla (browser+email+web editor) or Mozilla Firebird (browser only) instead of Netscape. As you noticed, Netscape adds a lot of crap.

Personally I don't think Thunderbird is ready for prime time yet. I would recommend Pegasus mail instead.

14. Beginner

Hi, when u say "CRAP" what do you mind?
    I know that when anyone install Netacape the netscape add some programs lik AOL,REAL PLAYER, JAVA etc.. But in the installation u can to choice what u want to install (like me :p)
    there are more crap that i don't know in Netscape?or u mind about the progra, that installed with netscape?

About the email program.. i find a solution... i have a small program that called EmailAya.. the program is in hebrew some. i haven't any problems with e-mails.
    U can to see some screenshot here:

http://planet.nana.co.il/emailaya/Screenshots.htm

What do u think? ;)

Thanks a lot!! :)
    Pablo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.