Netscape Mail 7.1?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bublebee, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bublebee

bublebee Registered Member

Just installed trial NOD32, went through Blackbeard's excellent tutorial and Netscape Mail 7.1 still won't run. Mozilla in on Client compatability grid, E-mail is turned on, Port is correct (same as E-mail configuration in Netscape). Any ideas?
    Also, are the features of NOD32 a suitable replacement for Zone Alarm Pro? o_O

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

nod32 is an antivirus and ZAP is a firewall, ull need both. anyways for netscape mail, have u tried it in compatibility mode?

3. bublebee

It's on to the far left, most compatable...

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i meant have u tried setting netscape to higher compatibility? (refer to this post)

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does it work after uninstalling NOD32?

6. bublebee

That screen seems to be affected by the compatiability bar that is set all the way to the left, so that particular screen all say "most compatable" and Netscape Mail is not listed, but I supposed Mozilla was the same...

7. bublebee

The mail worked before NOD32 install (and Norton worked with it perfectly) and works while NOD32 is installed, the NOD32 mail utility EMON is what doesn't work. The files scanned ticker remains on 0. Haven't uninstalled NOD32. It took so long to configure etc...am trying any suggestion before I start going that route...btw, I also have Zone alarm, tried turning on that mail scanner and it doesn't seem to work either, although there doesn't seem to be any settings whatsoever to tinker with...

8. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

EMON is for mail using MAPI interface, so it's used for Outlook clients. It doesn't work with Netscape 7's mail. So that's completely normal if the file counter remains null if you use NS7. Though, IMON scans eMail and HTTP traffic, so you're safe, even when EMON is unused. I think you can even deactivate it, since in this case it doesn't scan anything but uses memory up (probably).

9. bublebee

Really?? Well, that's great. So nothing lights up to tell me it's scanning an incomming e-mail or anyting? I guess I remember somewhere here or elsewhere about a file you can download to test and verify that it is detecting an e-mail...I'll try to find that and verify. Thanks for the help!!! :)

10. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

IcePanther:

I use Mozilla (1.7.12) mail rather than Netscape 7.1, but since Netscape 6 and up are based on Mozilla, I'll take the liberty of jumping in here.

I do understand that NOD32's documentation says that EMON works only with Outlook (I think that excludes even Outlook Express), and I'm reasonably happy with IMON's scan of my incoming mail, but I'm puzzled nevertheless.

Mozilla (and Netscape Communicator 4.80 and below) have files and registry keys that apparently have something to do with MAPI.

My Mozilla program folder includes the following: MapiProxy.dll, mozMapi32.dll, and msgMapi.dll.

Also, the (Win2k) registry includes MozillaMapi and MozillaMapi.1 keys, and CLSID keys {29F458BE-8866-11D5-A3DD-00B0D0F3BAA7} and {6EDCD38E-8861-11D5-A3DD-00B0D0F3BAA7} both have to do with Mozilla and MAPI.

So why wouldn't Eset have included Mozilla/Netscape (and presumably Thunderbird also) in EMON's coverage? A better way to ask that may be: Is Mozilla/Netscape's use of MAPI somehow unorthodox, as suggested by the filename MapiProxy.dll?

I ask because I'm a brand new user who installed NOD32 (yesterday) only after reading the installation manual, and given EMON's restriction to Outlook, I was very surprised to find EMON installed, because my MS Office installation includes Word 2000 only (neither Excel nor Outlook). And although Win2k does come with Outlook Express, I don't use it and I've never set it up.

I'd be interested in any comments about this, and especially whether I should release memory by somehow "deactivating" EMON, since my understanding of Eset's documentation is that on my computer, EMON apparently has absolutely nothing to do.

Roger Folsom

11. alglove

alglove Registered Member

The confusion here comes because there are different versions of MAPI. One version is Simple MAPI, which is used by Netscape/Mozilla, Outlook Express and many other Windows e-mail clients. Simple MAPI allows an external program to do things like compose e-mail, look up entries in the address book, read messages in the Inbox, etc.

Another version of MAPI is Extended MAPI, which is what is used by Outlook and EMON. Extended MAPI allows more control over the messaging system. For example, Extended MAPI allows an external program to manipulate/edit individual messages, move them to different mailbox folders, create/delete/rename mailbox folders, etc.

It is the added functionality of Extended MAPI that allows EMON to manipulate individual messages in Outlook. Since mail clients such as Netscape/Mozilla/Thunderbird and Outlook Express only use Simple MAPI, EMON cannot do the same thing with those programs.

Hope that clears things up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.