Netscape 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If anyone is interested the release of netscape 8 was today and it seems to work very very well. It uses the firefox browser engine, it has a lot of features and it runs very fast. see screen shot

Attached Files:

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

That has a nice look . thanks ! Never used it before though .

3. bigc73542

It is kind of a cross between mozilla 1.7.4 and firefox with a sprinkling of netscape :D . It does work pretty well though.

bigc

4. wondering

wondering Guest

Sometimes I wonder why someone would post about a newly released program but not provide a download link....so here it is. http://browser.netscape.com/nsb/

5. Hello guys

Hello guys Guest

Hi guys ;)

I'd like to know...since FireFox is working so well, and since Mozilla suite is also such a great browser (and I do believe these to be true), why would Netscape release such a browser which uses the same technology?

What's the use? What would be the interest for us users to switch or try it in your opinion?

Thanks

6. Hi...

How about security? Is it up to date as far as, say, the recently Secunia mentioned security flaws which afflicetd FFox 'til version 101?

Gonna dwld it in a couple of hours and try and see by myself...

Big, do you think it's a fast browser ? Compared to FFox? To Opera?

Cheers

7. bigc73542

My interest is that for me, firefox doesn't work all that well and never has. But mozilla seemed to work smoothly and the new netscape works better than either one so far. granted I haven't had much time to really test drive it but so far it blows both of them out of the water.

bigc

8. bigc73542

It has all of the current mozilla security fixes and patches the same as firefox and mozilla.

bigfc

9. bigc73542

It is hard to beat opera in speed but netscape is very respectable in operational speed compariable to firefox and I am sure that it will get even faster as new releases come along.

bigc

10. Very interestng and impressive. Can't wait to try it.
    FFox always worked well for me, but I'm one of those who experience problems with 101 and JRE15-01
    Always loved Opera too, but have some weird rendering with the latest 8beta
    Mozilla I just got to know, and found it to be very nice....

I wonder if Netcape has mouse gestures, or if it allows for plug ins...

BTW, how come Netscape has been sidetracked for so long in the browser race? How come they now try to get back on track? I thought the company was out?

Rgds

11. bigc73542

from what I have been able to figure out is that netscape will eventually be able to use firefox extensions it will download them now but won't install them.

bigc

12. hollywoodpc

Big C .
    You like it thus far ? Ok . Does it seem a bit cramped with all the buttons ? I am reading on this thing and thus far , people seem to like the idea of a cross between IE and FF but , it does not seem to work well . Of course it is new and beta right ? keep us posted please . You have the most respect from me of anyone here . Infin is good too . My point is , I respect your opinions in a big time way so I will look for anything you have to say on this before I try it . And I am with you . EVERYBODY loves Ff . Not me . To slimmed down and I did not get the speed everyone talked about . Maybe because my IE is clean and ALWAYS trim . Take care my friend

13. bigc73542

It really does not seem cramped at all. It has five little boxes at the begining of the personal bar and each one of those numbers when clicked on opens a different bar in place of the personal and each of those bars are fully customiziable. I really believe this is going to be a very good browser. I know I like it It also has the option to use the IE rendering engine to render a page if netscape finds one that it can't render correctly. really not a bad idea. it has full choices concerning activex and jave when useing the IE engine. It will only use IE if you have the settings to allow it, which I don't. The netscape browser seems to render pages just fine so far.

bigc

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Does this thing come with some sort of an ad-killer? Love the adblocker extension in Firefox.

Acadia

15. hollywoodpc

Thanks Mr C .

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Netscape, Firefox, Mozilla, & K-meleon all use the Gecko engine. K-meleon renders fastest of this group, by a small margin. I have used K-mel (with glee) for >2 years.

K-meleon's forum- http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/list.php?f=1
    K-mel's Wiki Tutor- http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/?id=Tutorials
    K-mel's Manual- http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/manual/

Mozilla Museum (FUN!)- http://home.snafu.de/tilman/mozilla/

Skinny Netscape & Netscape Museum...
    http://www.sillydog.org/narchive/sd/71.html

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Will NS 8 install over 7.2 or must I uninstall 7.2 first?

Thanks,
    Jerry

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I decided to install it on my old computer. (It is nice to have one that if it blows up it is not the end of the world.)

It did not install over 7.2 so both are on the machine. I am going to leave both on until I try out 8.0 and see if I like it.
    So far I do like it, and think it might be my default browser. Currently Firefox is the default, and it works fine.

Intallation went smoothly and without problems.

Jerry

19. bigc73542

I have tried netscape 8 on and off since it was released and I think it is an excellent browser every bit as fast as firefox but without the image rendering bugs or the bug that screws around with icon transposing. The only thing I don't like about it is the search function. It is hosted by google but it still gives netscape search. But that is easily fixed, I just put a link in the personal bar to google search. Now it is just one click away. I believe when the final release comes out it should be a really great browser.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.