netgear HDX101

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by neruuk, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neruuk

neruuk Registered Member

Using Vista 64 bits edition.
    With firewall on, my connection to my 2e computer is lost.
    I use netgear HDX101 to comunicate. I tried using the standardruleset and the enhancedruleset. The netgear HDX101 is pluged in to my US Robotic maxg router on one end and in the computer on the other end.
    On the other hand when i boot into Win xp pro (via dualboot) with looknstop and enhancedruleset it communicates, however the netgear configuration utility can't find the 2 devices.
    Can anyone advice to get it working on vista? The utility problem is a minor problem.

Thanx

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Is the connexion Ok if you disable the Internet Filtering ?

If it is working without the Internet Filtering enabled, then the log tab should give which packets have been blocked (and this will help to eventually add some rules).

If it still doesn't work with the Internet Filtering disabled, try to disable the Application filtering, to check if the problem is coming that part.

Regards,

Frederic

3. neruuk

neruuk Registered Member

Thankx Frederic.
    The problem was with the Application filtering. When a application askes to be authorized I understand to what the application refers, but when windows vista askes I don't allways know what it refers to and if it is important to allow or not. So to be on the safe side I say no if I dont know. It is also staggering to know witch applications want to go online that I dont want to!
    Can you direct me in th right direction so I can educate myself on application filtering concerning vista ultimate + windows xp pro.

Regards, neruuk

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi neruuk,

The important one to be allowed is "svchost.exe".
    Some other applications that could be required:
    - "services.exe"
    - "LSASS.exe"
    - "ALG.exe"

Anyway, it's not a problem to start blocking an application if you don't know what it refers to, and later finally allow it if you see something wrong about the connection.
    (This is also true for applications you know, but you wonder why it requires a connection: you can block it first, then you check if it works normally or not, and decide or not to allow it finally).

Regards,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.