NetBios

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MickDundee, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickDundee

MickDundee Registered Member

Hi

I have two computers connected to the same router/modem.

However, these machines are not networked. I keep getting inbound requests from the other machine into my main machine.

Does anyone know how I can totally block these requests, and set my machine so it has as little access by other machine as possible. I won't be using this machine to network, ever.

Howver I do use programs such as Utorrent, so I still need functionality there.

I have turned off sharing and homegroups. I am not sure what else to do.

Also does NetBios affect my security, and if so, how can I safely disable it without losing required functions?

Cheers

Mick

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

A service TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper is what you would turn off. You can also set some options in the windows firewall that block local communications.

Sul.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

As well as turning the NetBIOS service off in the control panel, you need to turn it off at the connection also. You shouldn't need to configure the Windows Firewall at all.

netbios.png

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you disable the service, doesn't it kill it all-together? I haven't specifically tried, but I was assuming that the NIC properties you refer to would be to turn it off per adapter but not entirely stop the service. Be interesting to know the heirarchy of this.

Sul.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

As I've noticed in the past, unfortunately, no. I believe you might be able to just disable it in the network options and leave the service, but I always disable both, since leaving the service running seems pointless. If I disable only the service I still see NetBIOS packets. But you can pretty much kill it by disabling the service and the network option.

6. MickDundee

MickDundee Registered Member

Thanks FD. A very simple and straight forward explanation..

Cheers

Mick

7. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

this should be a sticky,great information about security.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Don't forget that if you want to isolate one computer from the rest, you can use the firewall. In this manner specific computers can still communicate, but block others. This might allow you to have 2 childrens computers that communicate between each other for games etc, while having 2 adults computers that also communicate, share printing/files etc, all the while they can be on the same subnet to access the router and still be segregated from netbios.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.