NETBIOS requests

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jdelgado, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdelgado

jdelgado Registered Member

Hi,

I have a question about the firewall settings on the following rules under no application assign :
    Block Incoming NETBIOS request
    Block Outgoing NETBIOS request
    Block NETBIOS Name Service request

How do they work ? I am having issues browsing my network I don't see any computers on the network them my virtual machines who had map drives to my host are not seeing then I can only map via IP address. This issues started Monday I don't recall making any changes to my computer. So today I just loaded the latest version 4.0.467 of Smart Security but no change same issue. It may not be related to ESET but just checking in case you guys had encounter similar problems.

I notice that this rules I cannot edit them I can either enable or disable when I right click on them.

There are also the Rules under System:

Allow incoming NETBIOS request in the Trusted Zone
    Allow outgoing NETBIOS request in the Trusted Zone

Thanks
    Julio D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello Julio D,

These are blocked in the default settings.

To access your network, please try the following:

1. Open the main program window by clicking the icon next to the system clock or by clicking StartAll ProgramsESETESET Smart Security and press the F5 key to open the Advanced Setup window.

2. Click Personal firewall from the setup tree on the left.

* If you are using ESET Smart Security 4.0, select Automatic mode with exceptions (user-defined rules) from the Filtering mode drop-down menu and click OK.

* If you are using ESET Smart Security 3.0, select Interactive mode from the Filtering mode drop-down menu and click OK.

3. Press the F5 key to display the Advanced Setup window. From the setup tree, click Personal firewallRules and zones, then click Setup... in the Zone and rule editor section.

4. Click the Zones tab in the Zone and rule setup window, then click Trusted zoneEdit.

5. Click Add IPv4 address and select Single address to add the address of a single computer/device or select Address range to add the range of computer/device IPs that you wish to access. After you have entered the IP or or IP range, click OK on each window to save your changes.

Thank you,
    Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.