neither/nor: process guard vs. ad-watch

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by saliva, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saliva

saliva Guest

i currently have ad-aware pro which provides registry integrity via ad-watch. My question: what advantages will i derive from process guard that i cannot from ad-watch... and, equally, what might be pg's biggest drawback? also does it make sense to run both (stupid question, i know :) )?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Process Guard works at the lowest level in the system ie. the kernel and effectively stops anything stopping a working process or injecting another process into a working process. Process Guard also protects against changes in .exe's
    AdWatch watches a few registry keys for changes and can itself be killed by some malware. Adding AdWatch etc, to your protection protects the process. Process Guard is very effective at stopping Rootkits, Keyloggers, many Trojans and firewall exploits.

Try Advanced Process Termination from here: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=products Agianst your security programs to see how devastating certain malware can be.
    Read the Process Guard website for far more iformation here: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

Drawbacks? Process Guard uses negligible resources but does require some setting up but once this is achieved it is relatively unobtrusive. It is also advised that your system is squeaky clean of malware before attempting to install Process Guard and that you run the trial first to ensure full compatability to your particular machine/circumstances.

HTH Pilli

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi saliva,
    Actually, it is a very good question.
    Here is an excellent thread on Registry Monitor Comparisons.
    Some malware is able to modify the registry directly without specifically executing (or executing from within a trusted app). Take these drive by downloaders that are able to modify the registry using various browser exploits and such. They modify the registry so they can load on next reboot.
    Process Guard does not protect the registry (except one entry). It does prevent execution of potentially malicious programs from modifying the registry by asking you if you want to run it. But if you allow (for example) the Java engine to execute (friendly), PG will not ask you if you want to run each (potentially malicious) java applet. Where ProcessGuard excels is in protecting critical running processes (core windows components, security apps, internet accessible apps). So for example, via various methods, the registry integrity app ad-watch could be injected/infected/subverted unless protected by something. That is where ProcessGuard comes in. They are complimentary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.