NeededWare

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by R.A. de Hosson, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latest SpyBlaster database adds the following (blocking?) keys to the register:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings\zonemap\domains\neededware.com

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings\zonemap\domains\neededware.com || *

And these keys are flagged as Spyware by Spy Sweeper (a very nice program indeed).

Can I safely remove these keys (and is Spy Sweeper giving a false positive) or is Spyware Blaster wrong??

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You can safely remove those keys if you wish....but be advised they are valid entries placed in the Restricted Zone of IE by Spywareblaster. This is a case where Spy Sweeper is giving a false positive.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Yup - that definitely looks like a false-positive from SpySweeper.

In this case, removing those keys will not hurt anything, however it will remove the protection for that item.

If you have a support number/e-mail/address for Webroot, could you please let them know about that false-positive? :)

Thanks,

-Javacool

5. Thank you for your answer. I have reported this problem to the people of SpySweeper.

--René.

edited to fix quote tag - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2005
  6. bantry bay

bantry bay Registered Member

Hi When I open SpyBlaster I find all but one of the 3379 items are protected
    and the one that keeps unclicking itself when I reboot and that is Neededware
    so maybe Webroot might be right .

7. Geekslug

Geekslug Guest

So, false positives, right?
    Good, I was wondering why none of my other 7 scanners picked anything up, and how it got there in the first place...
    The websites I went to before this one said neededware came from visiting the website and active-x controls, but I use firefox, not IE...

8. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

This false positive was removed in the latest definitions issued by Spy Sweeper.

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Glad to hear it. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. CONRAD T. BRODER

CONRAD T. BRODER Registered Member

GENTLEMEN; I AM USING SPY SWEEPER Version 3.5.0 (Build 194) Using Spyware Definitions 456 AND STILL GET FALSE POSITIVES AND SPY SWEEPER STILL CLEARS SPYWARE BLASTER'S "NEEDEDWARE" ENTRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE JUST EMAILED WEBROOT TO TELL THEM. AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG? I USE ZONEALARM PRO SUITE, RUN IN TOTAL STEALTH MODE WITH LATEST UPDATES (DO IT EVERY DAY) AND ALSO USE PEST PATROL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.