Need ZAPro w/Router?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by EdP, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Using Win XP Home SP2; LinkSys WRT54GL; ZAPro 6.5

I've heard it said that using a router along with XP's built-in firewall eliminates the need for a third-party firewall such as ZA Pro. My subscription renewal is coming due soon, and if I don't need to update it, I won't bother.

Any comments on this?

Thanks
    EdP

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The router and XP firewall are doing exactly the same thing, so that's redundant. You can turn off the XP firewall completely if you have a router. It gives you no protection on outbound either. The only reason to use ZA Pro is if you want outbound control, something asking you if you want this or that app connecting out. If you don't care about that, then you can remove ZA Pro, but if you do, then keep it. It's up to you...

3. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Kerodo ...

Thanks much for the quick and comprehensive reply.

I do have the XP firewall disabled and I do care about outbound traffic simply because it's another layer of protection. If I can find a free and reliable app that monitors outbound traffic, I'll install it, dump ZAP, and keep the XP firewall disabled.

Any suggestions while I'm googling for an app?

Thanks again
    EdP

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

You could give Online Armor Free a try. While it's GUI may not be as comprehensive as that of ZA's. OA's FW & HIPS may offer slightly better protection than ZA's Triple Defense Firewall which is quite good in itself IMO. Router FW,AV, and OA Free is a great combination for a lightweight and easy to use set up, and offers good protection, again in IMO.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I personally like to run a behavior blocker with the router. That kinda gives me some extra protection. Something like Threatfire works well for me. There are also quite a few traditional HIPS apps, some of which watch outbound for you while giving you further protection. I feel that approach is lighter than a full blown firewall and less redundant also. Check the forums here for HIPS programs and comments on them...

Particularly this forum: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.