need your opinion on win 2000 pro

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have a chance to get a copy of win 2000 pro with all the drivers and updates from microsoft on cd. I would like to hear your opinion on this OS good or bad.

Thank You
    bigc

2. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

BC

a few weeks prior to entering the hospital I tool a look at 2kPro....
    cost retail $299.00..........considered that a wee-bit high....but looks like a nice os......if given the opportunity yes I would use it and upgrade no further. It does have some "extra" security features..in particular I like its...what I call :built in firewall:....used with a firewall offers added protection....all in all I like 2k.......presently on a win98se.....an wished I had purchased the 2k upgrade for winME...
    BC will you get office with the install....etc...??

3. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

BC..of course you realize the 2k is all but abandon ware by M$...so may be a good idea to make and keep all the security patchs on CD.....I can still locate patches for win98 ...most are on floppies

4. root

root Registered Member

Win2K Pro is the only OS I'll use. The only difference between it and WinXP is Win2K doesn't have as many security problems. If you look at all the gyrations that people go thru to make XP safe, what they are doing is trying to make it perform like Win2K.
    Win2K takes a little tweaking, but nothing like XP.Also, last I heard was that Win 2K will be supported a long time yet as many businesses use it and do not want to upgrade to anything M$ has to offer.

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

The main disadvantage with W2K is that many of the latest gadgets won't work with it as they don't have drivers

Quite a few usb2 devices have problem swith W2K

when it was developed it was intended for corporate use and XP pro & now server 2003 have replaced it

all the security holes that affect xp also affect W2K and don't let anybody try to tell you otherwise. It has just as many security holes if not more than XP as it's been around longer and the scum have had time to work on it more and find the exploits

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well gentlemen I do appreciate your replies. I believe I will dual boot it with my xp pro that way I can play with it a bit.

thanks again
    bigc

7. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Confirmed.

Apparantly, many others besides myself will try to you otherwise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.