Need urgent help-can't prevent Mcafee from managing Windows Firewall settings?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by roark37, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, I just got a new laptop and just turned it on(several hours ago!) and it came preloaded with Mcafee Security Suite which I don't want. Well I have been fighting with it for some time now and thought I have it disabled and not running but when I go to WIndows Firewall I cannot change anything as it says "these setting being managed by vendor application Mcafee Personal Firewall". How I can stop/prevent this? I was planning to try Windows 7 firewall first and then try either Tinywall or Windows File Notifier or both but I definitely don't want Mcafee. Can someone please help? I would rather not delete Mcafee if possible simply because I may return laptop(very likely now as I am so ~ Snipped as per TOS ~) and don't know if that will cause a problem with return. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

roark

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I doubt the vendor will be bothered at all if you uninstall McAfee. If they take it back they will just use the hidden partition to restore it to factory settings.

Best to make sure you uninstall it in Programs and Features and then reboot and use the McAfee removal/cleanup tool afterwards.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

3. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice as I did uninstall it and it seemed to remove without any problems.

roark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.