Need to update my AV and Security apps

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Swizz, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swizz

Swizz Registered Member

My license for NOD32 is running out soon and along with finding a good free replacement I'm looking at updating the rest of my security apps as well... I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to post it here.

My current system has the following programs:
    Outpost Firewall Pro 4 (with Blockpost)
    NOD 32
    Spybot: Search & Destroy
    Ewido (i haven't updated it from the last version of ewido - only updating the signatures before scanning)

The products i'm thinking of adding/replacing are:
    Replacing NOD32 with Avira Antivir (free version)
    Replacing Ewido with SuperAntiSpyware (free version)
    Adding A2 Squared (free) or Spyware Terminator (whichever is better)
    Adding Poweshadow (I really like the sound of this program)
    Adding Sandboxie (or Greenborder if it's better)
    Adding F-Secure BlackLight (I have read this is good for rootkits? I'm still learning about them)
    Adding Prevx1 (still not quite sure what this does but apparently it's worth adding)

Possibly instead of adding Prevx1 adding DefenseWall.
    Possibly instead of adding F-Secure BlackLight adding TrojanHunter.

Going through all these security programs is such a headache...
    "you need this"
    "you need that"
    "you don't need that if you have this"
    "having this and this is good" then someone countering saying it's not good, it's all so confusing.

I used to have a lot more programs on my computer:
    KAV, AdAware, Spywareblaster, AVG AV, F-Prot AV, etc...

A friend of mine decided to go trolling around a few not so legal gaming sites for this game we both play, also deciding it would be a good idea to do this on my business computer, luckily he didn't execute any of the programs he downloaded because I taught him to scan them through Virustotal and Jotti first and they both picked things up (CryptExe - something NOD32 didn't pick up).
    I'm always paranoid about these things as I use this specific computer for work and purchasing products off the internet so any help to make my set up more secure would be very much appreciated.

If anything I'm adding is redundant or "bad software" or out of date software or software made by an irreputable company please mention it. Oh and if this is the wrong place for posting this I apologise.

Thanks

EDIT forgot to add DefenseWall

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sandboxie and defensewall are redundant, and either program *might* be redundant with powershadow.

also i would not replace blacklight with trojanhunter. antivir and superantispyware should provide sufficient protection against trojans.

3. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Agreed, Do not get trojan hunter. If you are gonig to remove blacklight, you should get anti-rootkit, not an Anti-trojan to replace it.

4. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Swizz,

I run Firefox (with noscript and cookiesafe), Outpost Pro 4, and AntiVir in real-time (Avg Antispyware & A2 on demand). When I'm going to do risky surfing I use SandboxIE to sandbox Firefox.

My system runs great and haven't had any infections in a very long time.

Edit: I will probably add Comodo Boclean when it's released (supposedly next week).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.