Need to undo a image restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by larsund, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larsund

larsund Registered Member

Hi, I used True Image to backup my C partition a while ago just after a clean windows install on C. Then I installed more programs. Suddenly the computer started to behave weird due to a virus i believe, so I did a partition restore of C. I thought that i didn't have any documents of interest on C, but I was wrong. There was a folder on my desktop with some important word documents :doubt: So to my million dollar questions:

Is there a undo functionality in Acronis True Image?

Can I use disk director to recover my lost documents?

Is there by any chance a way to recover these word files, or has the image restore written zeros on all unused part of the partition?

Please help me. These are not my files, but belong to my mother in law. Se is crying and to be honest, I have a hard time explaining to her why these files suddenly now are gone.

Thanks in advance,

lars

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello larsund,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that Acronis True Image doesn't have "Undo" option, all data stored on your hard disk has been replaced by image data.

Acronis Disk Director can restore deleted partitions, as your partition has been replaced by the image data, you can't recover your partition with Acronis Disk Director.

Thank you,
    --
    Oleg Shegay

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  3. larsund

Thank you for your response.

My partition C is 10 GB. When I made an image of this partition the first 3 GB was used. The rest was unused space. The lost documents were created afterwards and should have been created in the unsued space. I guess that Acronis True Image will overwrite the 3 first GB with the image file, but what happens with the 7 GB that was originally marked as unused space? Will Acronis True Image overwrite this space with zeros so it become impossible to recognize and recover lost files here?

4. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Hi larsund

Didn't you do any more backups after you had backed up the clean install? If you had a later backup then your data would be on the later image and you could recover it from there.

5. larsund

No I did not do more than one image backup.

I read something about File Scavenger that could restore files on partitions that were formatted. Would this program do any good on partitions that has perfomed an image restore?

larsu

6. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I know there are programs available that claim to be able to recover lost data. However, it's not something I have used so I can only wish you good luck and hope you get your data back. Perhaps one of the other forum members will be able to recommend a suitable data recovery program that will work for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.