need to know which linux distros have latest kernel 5.9?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by taleblou, Dec 1, 2020.

1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:
    My min-PCs, specially the one with and AMD 4th gen chips does not work well with what I found is old linux kernels. My monitor which is a 4k only displays 3840 x 2160 in linux and through research I found out that it is due to old kernels. with latest kernels I can choose other resolutions so I can see better the tiny icons and etc. I read that mint, peppermint and deepin all have kernel 5.4 while right now is kernel 5.9 out. So which distros has the latest so I can use it on my ASUS PN50 mini-pc with vega 8 APU? Thanks in advance.

The only OP system that allows me to change resolution is windows 10 which i have right now until i can find a working linux distros.

2. taleblou

I just found out that ubuntu 20.10 has kernel 5.8. so do you guys know if kernel 5.8 allows a change of screen resolution? Also something I found out was that the intel devices in my mini-pc not compatible with linux? the update devices shows them grey out and suggest do not use due to unknown intel deviceo_O Mine inboard WIFI card is an intel wifi-6 card.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The answer for the question in the title can be found using a search on Distrowatch (choose "linux" for package, ">= 5.9" for version and "in any release" in the last field, then hit "Submit query"):

https://distrowatch.com/search.php

4. taleblou

I checked a bunch of them them and searched for their kernel version and they are not 5.8 or 5.9. it seems most are 5.4 which is no good.

5. taleblou

I tried ubuntu 20.10 and it works with all resolutions but its very buggy. The 20.04 has a kernel 5.4 but 20.10 has 5.8. Damn it freezes and other issues. seems its not very stable. all other distros I checked and non had the latest kernel. Why don't they move beyond kernel 5.4?

6. virion

virion Registered Member

7. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Configuring kernel to work on variety on devices is a major undertanking. There is testing to discover bugs and writing patches involved. More enterprise-oriented distros (RHEL and clones, SLES/openSUSE) are more willing to backport drivers than to frequently issue release with newest kernel.
    Anyway you can install new kernel in Ubuntu using Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Archive. There is 5.9.11 and even 6th release candidate for 5.10 kernel. Check out this wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

8. taleblou

Hi:
    Thx guys. Ubuntu 20.10 was too buggy so I tried Deepin with kernel 5.7. Was much better then ubuntu but video play back had issue. Only sound and no picture. Tried a variety of player and all the same. So had to go back to windows 10 for now. I do not know that having a min-pc both with AMD and Intel and a 4k monitors do not work well or at all with linux distros? So far the only working OP is windows 10. By the way I tried to ungrade to kernel 5.9 on ubuntu (flowed the upgrade instruction online) and ubuntu would not load with kernel 5.9. only with original kernel 5.8 would boot. I do not know about fedora but I am guessing it will have the same issues maybe. So what is Fedora based on? Is it debian, ubuntu, arch, etc. based?

9. reasonablePrivacy

IIUC Fedora is independent distro, but it is at the same time used by RED HAT to push technologies that they want to use in future in. RHEL

10. taleblou

thx. will try it now and let you know.

11. taleblou

Fedora is the worse OP there is. You can not copy paste to desktop. you can not stick anything to desktop and everything you want is to keep clicking on activities to get the apps. There is not max and min (- or +) and you have to right click. Also no maxing the page unless you double click the open page and many many others. Thanks god for other distros.

12. taleblou

Hi:
    I managed to get linux min 20 working well on the intel nuc min-pc and not the amd mini-pc. Anyway does anyone know why connecting wired headphones to the audio jack does not work in linux? Even mint? The mini-pc is connected to the monitor via a HDMI and the sound setting only shows HDMI and no other options. so I can not get my wired headphone working? is it because linux distros like mint do not have a driver like those of hd audio for windows? I found out only bluetooth enabled headphones work.

13. taleblou

Found the solution. Here is for anyone with the same issue as me.

pen etc in ROOT (super user) then
    add "options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi" to "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf"
    then save and then reboot

14. reasonablePrivacy

This is Gnome desktop environment. Some ideas are borrowed from launchers in mobile OSes and touchscreen-focused UI. Some people like it, some not.
    There are other Fedora "flavors" with KDE desktop environment for example.

I'm glad you have found a solution.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.