Need to increase partition size on replacement hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hps68, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hps68

hps68 Registered Member

I am running TI 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop with Windows XP Home SP2. I replaced my defective 30 GB hard drive with a 40 GB drive purchased from Dell. The old drive had two partitions: a FAT16 partition (31.35 MB) and a NTFS partition (27.91 GB). I was able to successfully restore the image to the new drive. However, I now see that (not suprisingly) TI made the restored NTFS partition the same size as the old one, which leaves me with about 10 GB of unusable space on the new drive (40 GB less 30 GB). Is there a safe way to increase the partition size, so I can access that extra 10 GB? Did I miss something in the restore process?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

This is a common problem... try this:
    ================================
    If you have already cloned your drive and just want to regain the missing space proceed as follows:
    1. Make the bootable True Image Rescue cd, if you have not already done so.
    2. Boot with it and from its main menu choose Manage Acronis Secure Zone.
    3. Create an SZ of any size less than the missing unallocated space. Do not accept the default to
    activate the Startup Recovery Manager.
    4. OK back to the main menu.
    5. Go right back into the Manage ASZ.
    6. Choose to Delete the SZ.
    7. When asked what to do with the space, accept the default to append it to the existing partition.
    8. Back out to the Main Menu, Exit the process, quickly remove the CD and reboot the system (if it doesn't
    self reboot).
    ====================================

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is easier to do the operations from the Acronis GUI in Windows though either method will work.
    Last time I did it it took less than a minute with no re-boots required.

Xpilot

As you will presumably be giving space to the C drive maybe a reboot will be needed.
    I forget that my zone is on a seperate HDD.

Xpilot

4. hps68

hps68 Registered Member

This process does not seem to work. I followed your instructions and successfully created a SZ equal to the unallocated space (9.32 GB), without activating the Startup Recovery Manager. (The SZ was a FAT32 partition.) Then I deleted the SZ and opted to append the space to my NTFS partition. Then I exited and rebooted. When I got back into TI and selected "create an image", it shows me that my NTFS partition is still about 27.9 GB, not the 37+ GB it should be. I also went to "My Computer" and viewed the properties of the C drive. It also shows a capacity of about 30 GB, not 40 GB. Any suggestions?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello hps68,

Try the alternative method I detailed in Post #6 of this previous thread.

Regards

Menorcaman

6. hps68

hps68 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. Restoring the NTFS partition separately enabled me to increase its size. Problem solved!

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Excellent!! :thumb: Glad I was able to help.

Regards

Menorcaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.