need to find a great cable modem asap!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i just dumped verizon and am getting cable instead. what would you all reccomend here i have them coming to install on sat and need to buy one today or tommorrow. my choices are a d-link dcm-202, a motorola surfboard sb5100, or a linksys (not sure exact model but ends in u10 version 3) i need answers from all of you quickly if you could just which one and why. thanks i trust you all here very much so far i dont think you all will let me down thanks again

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running a surfboard and it works very very well I haven't used the other you mentioned but I will recommend the Motorola surfboard.(available at W-M for $30.00)

bigc

3. zfactor

at my walmart they are 69$ i can get the d-link for 38$ from what i have been reading about the linksys is it drops connection very often?? which model do you have of the surfboard

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I,ve been running an sb1500 for about 6 months now and it's been problem free so far. ;)

snowbound

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It was supplied by my isp Cableone internet and the model is a sb4200. I was at my WM in Lawton OK last week and the newer surfboards were going for $31.99. It is a shame that all WM's aren't priced the same. we have four WM super centers within fourty miles and they all have different prices to an extent?

bigc

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

No sense me posting any prices as, living in Canada, they will be higher than most anywhere in the US of A. ;) :D

snowbound

7. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! I have the same and can't say a bad thing about it.
    SurfBoard 5100 Linkage

8. dog

dog Guest

Hehehehe ... I don't know about that :p ... Futureshop & BestBuy have pretty good prices ... I got my D-Link for $20 on sale after rebates ;) :p

We don't always lose out ... but it is the case usually :(

9. zfactor

hey dog which d-link do you have?? anyone know anything about the dcm-202?? i hear good things about it and the price is awsome but everyone on most all the forums reccomend the 5100?? is it that good?

10. dog

dog Guest

It the DI-604 ... it has some issues with 3-way connections used to send files with mIRC, and by default it doesn't stealth port 113 by default ... but there is a workable solution for the port issue, the 3-way problem is another matter. ;) ... Overall it's a decent router. :)

11. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

motorola surfBoard SB5100 Fast capable of Downloading megabyte files in seconds, asy Hassle Free installation Assistant, Flexable Connect USB or Ethernet, secure Standby swictch for Extra security when not online.

Motorola The King of Communication................

12. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Surfboard is the way to go . Although . I would try to buy it elsewhere as your provider may charge too much . Good luck

13. zfactor

anyone ever hear of this turbo dox on the dlink's supposed to increase speeds up to 20x a regular cable modemo_O i say yeah right but just wondering since ive never heard of it. thanks

14. budfox

budfox Guest

15. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I'm still using an old Surfboard 3100 with no problems. I would go with the Surfboard as I've never heard of any troubles that can't easily be fixed with proper configuration.

16. zfactor

stealthing a port on a cable modem, i was not aware that was able to be done :rolleyes: , on the link you gave it doesnt list the dcm-202 because it is not a router only a modem. thank you all i got the sb5100 at office depot, they matched wal mart price and had a 20$ rebate which was printed out wrong. basically the reciept said the rebate was good until 5-1-05 but it had to be mailed in by 1-31-05o_O so i went in and they just refunded me the difference all in all 40$ not bad for the motorola. i did not buy the d-link after finding out it is really a hitron modem. it gets rebranded for d-link in hitron it a 3520t model. and issues all over the place with that hitron. thanks all for your input

17. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have had one for over 5 years without any issues.

At $30 I'd buy 3 ;) :D They charge $265.00 here, and can only be purchased through the carrier ~ Bigpond Australia, aka Little Puddle ;) :D

Cheers :D

18. zfactor

well if you ever want them blackspear email me i can take paypal and send them over to you anytime you want i have sent quite a few things to people i know in aus. i am legit check ebay: 99miata10ae. im here if you need me.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks for this thread....I took my RoadRunner SB4200 in yesterday and they traded me up to a SB5100....so far so good :cool:

20. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yes I would recommend the Motorola Surfboard cable modem too, I'm using a motorola surfboard cable modem, the model is SB4200.
    Motorola's cable modems are some of the best and easiest-to-use. :cool:
    Here in Singapore you can also purchase cable modems directly from the ISPs, my ISP has a shop at the shopping mall near my house where customers can purchase cable modems directly at a cheap price. They've got a huge variety of cable modems available for purchase.

21. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  22. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Cable modem? Y'mean ethernet? An onboard 3Com Gigabit LAN chip does just fine!

23. BionicFlea

BionicFlea Guest

I have the Dlink 202, just got it today. Much faster than the motorola one supplied by my ISP. There is also a few tweaks that i have tested multiple times and my speed is even faster. If you want info on those tweaks, email me @ greenthumb720@adelphia.net

Good Luck

24. BionicFlea

BionicFlea Guest

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. those tweaks are in the configuration for your network card, or onboard lan if thats what u have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.