Need Some recommendations for a VPN?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lucygrl, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

Im ready now to try my first VPN, but after looking around there seems hundreds, even thousands of companies supplying this, so if some people could give me some good recommendations much appreciated. My only requirement is that the company is not located or have offices, servers, etc in Thailand, Philippines, or Cambodia.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

The ones that I know well enough to recommend:

AirVPN (Italy)
    BolehVPN (Malaysia)
    iVPN (Malta)
    Mullvad (Sweden)
    Private Internet Access (US)
    SecurityKISS (Ireland)

3. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

If you read the already existing threads on this (which I don't think are really hundreds) you'll see after a while some consistent recommendations. Do a Google search on the forums and choose your search words judiciously. It's not hard to identify the serveral best threads on this topic. And if you go to a specific service's website, they ought to identify where they are located. If not, then don't use them.

4. lucygrl

Thankyou Mirimir, I will give them all a try and spread things around. Sorry to ask again, but are there any VPN that do not require a software download? Our Org has around 80 PC and although downloading software in most cases is fine, there are are some PC where I would prefer to download nothing. Something where you could just login via an online control panel would be ideal.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Online control panel sounds something like LogMeIn Hamachi instead of these VPN services.

If you don't want to install anything, try their L2TP connection instead of OpenVPN. I know SecurityKISS supports that.

6. mirimir

If you have 80 PCs, maybe you want to install VPN clients in some of your LAN routers.

What's the overall LAN topology? How many routers, subnets, etc?

If they're all on one Internet gateway, you'll probably need a commercial VPN service account and a router with some serious CPU and memory, and Intel NICs (to reduce CPU load). No surprise, but I like pfSense for that :)

If you want to do each PC individually, you can install stock OpenVPN and VPN credentials from a CD or USB.

7. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

80 PC's on one VPN subscription? I hope not. Way to destroy the pricing models set by VPN companies. Slowing down the service or raising the price for all other users. I hate people who do this, this is the reason so many VPN's are slow.

8. lucygrl

Thankyou Mirimir again for all your help,

The PC are spread over different offices in different countries with many people out in the field. Ideally the best would be to have all PC connect to a different VPN. So in effect 80 PC connected to 80 different VPN. I like the idea you have suggested of using OpenVPN on a USB, this is ideal. Ill give that a try first on a few PC and see how that goes. What is the best way to encrypt and pass protect the USB? Even 2 passwords , etc to login or something like that.

9. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

I always thought AirVPN was Italy :) I agree with the list but perhaps few concerns with PIA and Security kiss although no bad reviews or negative customer reactions from them show they are good....pending :D

10. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Registered Member

this is why we Need FAQ and guides....i am reading a lot on here TRYING to not as reapeat questions but it blows my mind away that we don't have guides here for VPNs encryption programs and so on and so forth

11. Taliscicero

We don't have guides partly because nobody has the time to write them, and in my case partly because of the ethics of giving information openly to people who may abuse it, a public forum is a public forum after all.

12. younameit

younameit Registered Member

I don't get you. So you think using a Google search instead of a FAQ is some form of protection?

Some power users spent so much time here kindly answering (VPN) questions over and over again that could have been more easily addressed via a FAQ thread or the like. The best thing would possibly a Wiki so that the burden of creating and to maintain such an overview would not rest on one person's should alone.

However, I don't think it's gonna happen irrespective of how useful it would be.

13. HopelesslyFaithful

THIS!

If a power user created a thread and an ADMIN stickied it everyone could contribute but the power user would have to add in all the comments....it seriously would be best option that can he done here.

Maybe make a new account that we pm login to everyone that is trusted enough to keep the FAQ up and running? Worse case mod restores anything deleted...they keep backups don't they and vbullitin keeps records of changes right?

14. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

So you are looking into restricting free speech just in case there might be a bad guy out there?

15. mirimir

I agree that a wiki would be best. We've had some very long threads on VPN recommendations, but they've tended to drift off topic and stall.

There is a VaultWiki add-on for vBulletin <https://www.vaultwiki.org>. Licenses cost 70 USD per year, plus 60 USD per year to remove VaultWiki/Cracked Egg Studios branding. License renewal costs 30 USD per year.

If Wilders wants to add VaultWiki, I'll cover the first year (as Bitcoins).

16. HopelesslyFaithful

i'll cover the second with no issue assuming we actually use it and make FAQs/guides.

17. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I think that's a great idea. At first I thought it was a good idea that people read through the threads themselves to garner the wisdom that goes along with it, as opposed to just taking a shortcut to knowledge. But that was before those threads grew into the (OT) monsters they are now. Nobody should have to comb through those for a few nuggets of wisdom.

There was a lot of blood, sweat and tears put into all that and it should be preserved and easily accessible to people. And you would be my first choice.

Along with your (excellent) recommendations I would also add PRQ. Though they won't hand-hold you through the process as others may. They expect their customers to not be noobs. And their site is not very user friendly or informative, leaving people with questions... not a good combo.

18. Taliscicero

@ Uncle Ben Speech.

Lots of bad can be done with a little bit of the right information. I used to be where you are at, and changed my mind. I have found most who are doing nothing wrong don't care and those who are care the most, even if a few of us are just knowledgeable and enthusiasts. Making information harder to find while seeming backwards logically actually works as a security mechanism against the bad, people who are not enthusiasts but want to do bad most likely will cut corners in their technology due to them not caring and only using it as a means to an end. I am not going to go into it more, but be aware all information is not used wisely.

19. mirimir

@Taliscicero

I generally like Wilders' position on this issue.

Threads like "How can I hack my ex wife's computer?" quickly get ridiculed and nuked.

But threads like "I forgot part of my TrueCrypt password. How can I get to my data?" get (at least some) thoughtful responses, and (as I recall) links to software for quickly trying many possible passwords.

On many boards, the second sort of threads get treated just like the first. I don't like those boards. But I also don't like boards where both sorts of questions are welcome.

20. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

I have to side with the free speach issue on this. There is something called the slippery sloap. Once you start down that sloap it is almost impossible to come back and it inevitably leads to disaster. When you condone censorship of any kind you start down that path. It is akin to book bans and burning at the far extreme. There are always going to be bad people that is a given. This methodology is akin to saying that since there are so many drunk drivers that cars should be outlawed. When you give into internet censorship you give into to acts like Sopa/Pipa/Cispa and many others. There are hate based groups out there that I absolutely loath and despise. However, I will fight for their ability to non-violently protest and speak their filth. Why, you may ask? Because the moment they are censored sets the stage for censorship in other venues.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  21. HopelesslyFaithful

you know....with that mentality i must be an evil person and up to no good for wanting to know how to encrypted my personal information because only bad people need to have 7 layeers of cascading encryptions with multiply choice, fake folders, tricker with false trails, and with booby trapted malware loaded containers waiting to explode.

I am no bad person....just want a solution for my back up that can last a good 10-40 years if someone steals it. If someone helps answers my other thread *hint hint* i hope to make my long term storage just a disaster for someone that they wont even bother...probably not for another 20-40 years even.

If i got family pictures, medical records, SS#, Drivers license, FOID, passcodes to my life/world, personal stuff.....you bet i am going to go to high hell to protect it.

22. mirimir

I totally agree with you, if we're talking about governments, and other public institutions.

But forums like Wilders aren't public institutions. They're private property, and owners get to make the rules. Those rights trump even governments, in my opinion.

23. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

I agree with RollingThunder also.

I think it's also worth keeping in mind that we do not all necessarily agree one what's "bad." And we probably all agree that things that are considered "bad" in other parts of the world are completely good and legitimate. "Bad" is also almost always used to justify the extension of government powers and secrecy that are much more about simply extending those powers (over everyone) than about the supposed "bad" people (who are often doing less overall harm to people than everyday things like car accidents and unnecessary medical care).

The world is a lot more complicated than simplisitic "good"/"bad" dichotomies.

In addition, I really disagree that it's only mostly "bad" people who are interested in privacy and privacy technologies. I think the enormously vast majority are regular people and especially businesses (a lot of the technology that we "enthusiasts" discuss here is used in the background by business to secure services that regular people use everyday).

I also think that making information more obscure to find does not somehow magically keep it away from the "bad" people. I see no reason "bad" people are more or less lazy than anyone else. If there's enough money or power or something else at stake that's a pretty big motivation to find the obscure knowledge necessary to carry out one's "bad" plan.

Lastly, I think if one looks around the world at the more and less open societies, there is no evidence that more closed societies have less "badness" going on. In fact, it seems to generally be very much the opposite.

24. HopelesslyFaithful

the bad just takes a different form. Evil people gravitate to areas of power and control. You have a 100% open market with unlimited control...bad people go there. If you have big government with lots of power....bad people go there..duh! If you have anarchy...bad people form their own "gangs/mobs" or whatever and reek havoc. This is why for the US i like to refer to the three poles (varies depending what society you look at..Roman had Army/Senate/mob. Other places can have more or less). The US has three the Government/People(mob)/Market...when any power is out of balance bad things happen. The market was out of control in the late early 1800-1900s but was set back into its place by the other two poles. Today, we have the government pole totally out of wack and market and people and yet to give it a good ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ and put it in its place. I am a firm believer with the rate it is growing and entrenching that the people and market have a small window before it gets so far out of wack nothing but a bloody experience will resolve it.

Anyways i am going to stop there so we dont have a mod close this thread down like the other one -_-

*mirimir i agree with you on the private property part and they can choose what they want to allow but i would caution anyone that wants to sensory information....it never works. It is like any type of control...whether information, weapons, drugs, or what have you. It just screws over the general population and doesn't affect the criminals because they will just find a new way to do it. I think the war on drugs is the best example of how much of an epic failure it is. Nannyism is a ~ Snipped as per TOS ~

*mirimir i checked out your site and no guides yet for VPN and TOR :'(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

That Sounds Like a Plan. Let's Focus Only On The Thread's Topic: Need Some recommendations for a VPN? Thank You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.