Need Some Help!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by AnthonyG, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I use firefox and today i went to a particularly dodgy site, i have been there before and had not problems as i always am careful. Today as usual the site popped up a security permission saying do you want to trust these people. I always say no to this but today i wasnt paying any attention and clicked "yes" by mistake. Now what usually always happns is after i click no it says firefox has prevented this site from installing software on your machine. Today it did not say that.

I am now panicking. As what have i now allowed onto my machine?. God i hope its not another premium rate dialer. what do you suggest to locate and eliminate what it was.

Secondly is there anyway i can go and find on my machine the part that is saying you can have access and set it back to no you do not have access to these peole. Is it a cookie perhaps?.

Thanks for your help as i am starting to get extremelly nervous to say the least.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I'm not sure about the permission side, however it would pobably be worth running some scans with your virus scanner, trojan scanner, malware scanner, etc.

Jimbob

3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Well if it was me I would immediately go into the basic cleaning ritual of:-
    1) Clear out all temp files (preferably by using CCleaner or similar);

2) Unhide all hidden files in Explorer; and

3) Boot into safe mode and unleash my arsenal of scanners (ie AV, AT and AS).

If this pronounced me clean I would heave a sigh of relief and put in down to experience! If I wasn't clean, I would also consider turning off my system restore points as part of the cleanup.

PS - I use I.E. not Firefox, but the way I have my browser set up, sleazy sites don't even have the chance to ask me whether I want to receive any sort of download; so there is no possibility for such an accident to occur.

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Thanks but if i scan with an AV or antispyware does it matter if the the files are hidden or not as if it does matter that would be a very suprising thing ive just learned, thanks.

I eagerly await someones repy to this one.

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It does seem to make a difference - especially if you are trying to locate a 'bad' item to delete it. Since it is so simple to do, why not do it? You just go to Windows Explorer and:-
    1. Select "Tools" from the menu on top.
    2. Select "Folder Options".
    3. Select the "View" tab.
    4. Scroll down and Select "Show hidden files and folders".
    5. Unselect "Hide extentions for known file types".
    6. Unselect "Hide protected operating system files".
    7. If you get a "warning" prompt, say yes you want to do it anyway.
    8. Click Apply and Ok.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Doesn't matter a bit, as in your anti-virus will scan what it needs to, no matter what.

TopperID's advice is given so you can find anything that is hidden on your system while searching...

Hope this helps.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.