Need some answers about Acronis and the backup what I am doing ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by prashanthchou, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prashanthchou

prashanthchou Registered Member

I am completely new to this ACRONIS software and need some answers:

I wanted to buy this ACRONIS 9.1 enterprise sofware along with the Universal restore option>

This is what I wanted to do , let me know if this product helps me do this:

=============================================

I have a Windows 2003 server which is my Domain controller,Exchange server, symantec management console & my file server.

I wanted to take the complete image of this server on to an external hard drive which is on my network.

And tomorrow if my server crashes or there is fire, then using the image what i have in the external drive i should be able to restore it into another server ( brand new server ).

So how does it work ?

Any help

2. old silas

old silas Registered Member

I am also relatively new to Acronis software. I did buy ATI 9.1. It seems to work for backup/restore ops but I am having lots of truble with ATI Management Console. I can only use MC on the local machine but not on the network. I am a former Ghost 10 user and it worked fine on the network as does Win XP Pro with SP1 and SP2. But ATI 9.1 MC locks up (permanent hour glass) if I try to access a computer via the LAN. Re-boot is then necessary. I can monitor LAN activity when I enter the remote computer name and remote User Name and password but then all activity ceases and I get the lockup. Thus, at present, MC is useless until I can get this resolved.
    I am a retired logic designer and software designer for real time systems and I always designed lockup detection and error detection into my hardware and software. This seems to be missing in this case.

3. prashanthchou

prashanthchou Registered Member

Thanks for the info , is there anything else u feel are issues with
    ACRONIS 9.1 enterprise server

4. old silas

not that I have found, but I've not thoroughly tested it. I have done backups, but not complete restores, but I did restore my MBR when it got wiped out. I have been thinkig about either devoting a partition for backup verification (restoring the backup to this test partition and then booting it) or just sliding out c-drive, which is in a slide-out drawer, and sliding in a reformatted (SCSI) drive and booting to it for test purposes.
    Another thought is to create my own 'secure zone' by backing up to a USB2 hard drive and then disconnecting it and locking it in a cabinet. That would be even securer than 'secure zone' and
    I wouldn't be putting any wear or tear on the HD while it was holding the backups.
    This has nothing to do with acronis, but I had an interesting experience with Windows Media Player. After watching a video using WMP, my computer wouldn't boot. I noticed that if I removed the IDE drive, the computer would boot. (my Win XP Pro is on a SCSI drive) This problem showed up on another computer here and then I found the problem. It seems that WMP had changed the boot priority to the IDE drive that doesn't have an operating system. I had to restore the boot priority setting in the bios. That cured the problem. I don't use WMP anymore, but found a freebie called VLC that does a wonderful job playing videos with no bugs.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello prashanthchou,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Enterprise Backup Software

Please be aware, that Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server with Universal Restore is able to perform everything, you described.

First of all you backup your server to an external hard drive which is on your network. Then, in case of disaster, you will be avaliable to restore your server even on different hardware or to a virtual machine, providing complete disaster recovery.

Please visit Acronis online store in order to purchase the product http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/sales/online/

Thank you.
    --
    Fedor Kurbatov

6. old silas

Acronis has been very cooperative in clearing the problem up with TI Management Console.
    They suggested a fix and it works.
    It is not the ultimate solution, they are working on that, but in the meantime, it is a satisfactory temporary solution.
    I wish other companies were as cooperative as Acronis.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.