Need some advice re 2nd AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I am currently using NOD32 on my PC as my main AV software, but I'm planning to install a 2nd backup AV solution on my PC preferably Bitdefender V8.0 Free Edition, thought NOD32 will still be my main AV solution.

Now time for some questions:

1. Do I have to disable anything in BD and if so what ?
    2. What's the purpose of having a 2nd AV, is it mainly as backup, incase the first
    one doesnt work ?

3. Assume I do a manual AV scan of my HDD, would I use NOD32 or BD ?
    4. Should BD be showing in my taskbar like what NOD32 is, as NOD is my main AV
    it does show up in the taskbar, so this means that its shield is running. Does this
    rule apply to BD ?

5. Anybody ever used BD Free edition with NOD32 and whats your feedback ?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

They should work just fine together. As BD free doesn't have a resident scanner there should be no conflict.

3. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Bitdefender does work well with most AV's, but the auto updates can conflict with resident AV's in my experience. Bitdefender, if you install the free version dosnt run in the take bar, but it does run some services such as these: bdss.exe, xcommsvr.exe. I would still have Nod as your resident and have Bitdefender as your on demand. It is worth install for extra protection and it is easy to use, hope this helps Tom.

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Kaspersky has an Active X based scanner available which I use every so often. Info is available here http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner there is also a single upload scanner available which isn't what you are looking for. Panda also has their ActiveScan.

5. Albinoni

Whats a resident scanner ? Is it an online scanner. If BD Free doesnt have a resident scanner, so does this mean its not a real AV solution/software, becaues for an AV program to protect your PC dont you need a resident scanner ?

6. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

Hello, I just purchased Antivir and I'm looking for a second AV to run backup that uses NO memory or running processes, can someone give me some options? I would like one that cleans the infected file as well, thanks.

7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Resident scanner is what is constantly in the background scanning your files as you use your computer. You only want one of these running at any time. NOD is your resident scanner as you have said. An on demand scanner is what you are looking for, one that runs only when you want it too, hence the demand name.

8. Albinoni

Does th autoupdate comflict badly with NOD ? Just hope that it wont ruin my NOD32 AV program.

I always thought the free verison of BD does run in the taskbar, been a while since I've used/tried it.

So would I have to disable any settings in BD free edition, or just install it and leave it as is.

9. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Probably not, to be honest but every set up is different. It is good for a free program with regular updates. The only way your going to know is if you give it a go and see, T

10. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

Kaspersky 4.5 Pro with only scanner and updater options for on-demand detection will be good choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.