Need some advice on torrent setup...

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Phil McCrevis, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil McCrevis

Phil McCrevis Registered Member

I've never really messed with torrents before however I've been reading up and would like some advice on my setup. Would like to know how secure my setup is and if I'm doing anything wrong that would leak my identity (ip). Using utorrent with forced encryption and left allow incoming legacy connections checked. Using Mullvad VPN / Swedish server with DNS leak protection enabled and also connection drop protection enabled. The browser I'm using is JonDoFox.

When I go to http://checkmytorrentip.com/ my ISP ip is not showing, is that good enough or are there others things to consider / look at? Also from what I understand port forwarding is used to basically speed up downloads and is not necessary to use?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. root_my_face

root_my_face Registered Member

This is a bit of a tangent but I'd recommend trying http://put.io . It basically torrents for you in the cloud. Much better than torrenting from home (IMO).

3. Phil McCrevis

Thanks, will look into that.

4. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Or just buy a seedbox.

5. Phil McCrevis

Thanks for the info.

Just wish I new if my setup was adequate for occasional use, I'm talking one or two torrent downloads every other month from that well known site pi^@teb@y.

6. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Then you might consider justseed.it, furk.net or boxopus.com.

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

As far as I know just simply using any decent VPN will cover all traffic on your computer. And you have the leak fix checked on Mullvad so your torrent is sent to Mullvad first and then to you.

I rarely download with a torrent. I prefer file sharing services. But when I do use a torrent I enable Shadow Defender first and then install Free Download Manager which can download torrents. So when I am done and I restart my computer, it's all gone. Maybe I am being silly but I don't like any kind of peer to peer installed on my computer. I don't like the idea of being connected to an unknown network of people. And I can find 99% of everything that I look for on a file sharing service.

8. caspian

It looks like you have to pay for a sub so that wouldn't be very private.

9. caspian

I have never heard of these services. boxopus looks cool because it is anonymous. Maybe I'll try it sometime. Thanks for the tip.

10. Phil McCrevis

May I ask what file sharing services you use? :D

Thanks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.