need restoration help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dsanner106, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsanner106

dsanner106 Registered Member

I need some basic help. I made a disk image backup to an external drive and replaced the drive in my laptop. I used my acronis boot cd to transfer that file back to the new drive. I received the missing file error (ntlib I think or something close) apparently a common problem with windows transfers. I found and used a windows xp disc and loaded windows onto the new drive. Now I can open windows and see the acronis backup file on the new drive but cannot open it. What is my next step in reslolving this? The computer also does not now show my wireless and my screen size is reduced to about a 6 by 8 inch window in the center of the screen. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

What version and build of TI are you using? Boot from the TI CD and select recovery then select your image file. Make sure Restore Disks or Partitions is selected. Put a Check mark in the Disk 1 box and continue with the restore. If your new disk is larger then the old one see this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=157096.

3. dsanner106

Thanks for the reply, I thought this was basically what I had done,
    but when I tried to boot from the new hard drive got the missing file
    error. Was there a better way to get just that file than loading from
    my windows disc?

thanks,
    Drew

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The missing file was probably NTLDR which is normally contained within the MBR and should be included when you restore from your back up image.
    Connect and start your external drive with the new drive in place. Now re perform the restoration having booted from the TI CD. Make sure that all the partitions are checked including the MBR.

Xpilot

5. dsanner106

Ok,'
    I have re-cleaned the new disc and am starting over. When I run the restore program though, and select the disc to restore from, it does not highlight the next button for me to proceed. Opening and selecting anything from the disc also does not highlight the next button. I see a few small files and then my large backup file on the other drive. any idea what I am missing?

thanks
    Drew

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Again. What Version and build of TI are you running?

7. dsanner106

Sorrry, I paid for and downloaded the most current version 4 weeks ago. I am at work and without the boot disc , but I would assume that is version 10 unless it is newer than 4 weeks.

Drew

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Did you install a larger or same size drive?
    Was the new drive the same type (ide or sata) as the old?

Consider reviewing my guides below. Is the procedure outlined in these guides the same procedure you used for your backup and restore? If no, where did you differ?

Backup images B3 & B4 show the full disk being imaged. All partitions checked including any hidden or diagnostic partitions.

Restore image R3 will show all your partitions if you did a "disk" image backup as shown in B4.

Image R5 & R6 will show the restore/recovery options.

Where did your procedure differ? This will help us understand what steps might be necessary to get you functional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.