Need Replacement for Windows Search Feature?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Please, keep us informed on -What- you decided on and -Why-. :thumb:

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

As a XYplorer user I can see why you like it. One of the features I like is it can keep your search results...so here's a screen from yesterday. I was digging up some samples for another user from just 11 of my drives including some networked ones.

I turn off indexing on all my drives but I seem to remember XYP optimizes and remembers some how (I'll have to check on that one.)

Using my old test machine which has a P4 clocked at 3Ghz took 2 mins for 350,985 in 25,114 folders in 3Tbs. Closing the search tab and scanning for the same again took 25 seconds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. Musgave

Musgave Registered Member

I don't know if you already found your replacement, but if not, maybe Lookeen could be an alternative too! This tool is mainly for searching files (mails, contacts and more) in Outlook, so you need Outlook! But if you work anyway with Outlook then Lookeen is very helpful, because it is also a desktop search, which finds mostly everything!
    Unfortunately it is not for free, but it is very good and small, so if you ask me, it is worth its money!

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

After trying Agent Randsack, UltraFilesearch, and Xyplorer for the last couple of weeks i have decided to keep them all. I have found all three to be useful at times. I use Agent Randsack the most though because it's so thorough. I like to use Xyplorer as a replacement to explorer instead of as a replacement to windows search function. I do like Xyplorer's search function, but it's browsing capabilities is what makes it stand out from the other options. I like UltraFilesearch because its so fast, and so light on resources. I tried many other's, but the above three were my favorites.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have not tried Lookeen so i will have to give it a test run. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.