Need new AV+Firewall (again)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pajenn, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I've been through this many times. I install some AV and firewall, at first they work well, but after some time (over a year), they start to slow down or conflict with each other or with other programs. This time it's happened with CIS v5.12. It has stopped remembering rules properly or has started to forgot old ones, at least the D+ and Sandbox modules. For example, when I booted up today it gave me a bunch of pop-ups about auto-starts I've had running forever that were okayed ages ago.

What's a good alternative to CIS these days?

Before CIS I used Avast with Windows Firewall Control, and before that I think it was Prevx with PrivateFirewall. And before PrivateFirewall I used Online Armor. All worked great until they didn't. I need this for my main laptop (Win 7 x64, SSD, 16 GB of RAM), and the main goal is of course good security with minimal annoyance from false positives and minimal system and program launch slowdowns from AV/FW.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I had the same a few days ago and happened when i changed active configuration. The only solution was remove my "usual" configuration and re-import it. I mean, save your customized configuration, if you have this problem, change config to one of the pre-installed, remove your custom config from "manage my configurations" and re-import and activate it. Comodo should then remember it again correctly.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Just get a good AV + Firewall Suite (Internet Security) and cut down on all the headaches

Bitdefender Internet Security FTW. The most secure and light as a feather

4. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

In my experience, most firewalls except the Windows firewall + router combination eventually start causing issues.

5. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I would say LnS is the exception too.

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Latest free Zone Alarm Anti-Virus + Firewall suite.

The AV engine is the highly regarded Kaspersky AV engine.

7. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

But it's infinite memory usage is such a problem:rolleyes:

8. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

does the zonealarm freeze computer?

9. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I agree with the person that said to use a good suite. Less chance of conflict that way. Personally my main focus would be on picking one with a good FW/HIPS components, and AV detection rates would be my last concern. And one with a light footprint.

Otherwise, you're running Win7... use the integrated FW. Very slim chance of it conflicting with any AV.

I used to always mix & match stand alone apps too, but most of them have become so convoluted & bloated now that conflict is all but inevitable... because they try to do everything under the sun. I miss the days when AV's were resident file guards only, and didn't try to do the jobs better suited for other software. You never ran into these types of conflicts then.

I also miss the days when FW's didn't try to be sandboxes too, and cloud scanners... but that's a story for another thread.

10. er34

er34 Guest

Since everybody is saying their favorites

Turn to first party solutions - Microsoft Security Essentials - free and light, integrated with the OS security features. Zero false positives, on the SSD and i7 it would be zero slow down, no conflict with 3rd party programs.

You can add to it (if you want) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware free or paid edition - also very light and effective.

For firewall -> Windows Firewall - zero annoyance - effective protection.

Simple and light.

Some other free and effective utilities you can add -> WoT , Autorun Eater.

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

It has done it on several systems...

12. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

I switched my setup from CIS to include Panda Cloud Pro (which has a firewall), SpyShelter (antilogger and HIPs), ExploitShield, Anvir Task Manager Pro (has home page protection, startup guard, etc and is better than Killswitch) and Sandboxie. This setup has been light on resources and very effective. You can still get a free 6 month Panda Cloud Pro license - http://forum.raymond.cc/freebies/27468-panda-cloud-av-pro-facebook-promotion.html

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  13. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

This is actually a really nice setup...Good job :thumb:

Definitely light and effective

14. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed. You need to keep trying different solutions until you find the combination that best suits your config.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.