need maximum protection

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nick b, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick b

nick b Registered Member

I have used pc's for over 5 years and am constantly learning. After getting inundated with trojans, ad/spyware, etc the first few years, I started using various software products to control the problem. I currently use Ad-a-ware, Spysweeper, PestControl, WinPatrol, TrendMicro Internet Security and just downloaded Process Guard. After doing lots of research, I would like to settle in on 1 or 2 companies to provide all my pc security and give good customer support. Would Diamond CS do all that? Could Process Guard actually function as a firewall? Is there any ad and/or spyware capability in the DCS product line? As I understand it, the products I would need to protect my pc would be TDS-3, WormGuard and ProcessGuard. Possibly use Ad-A-ware free or Pro for the rest and a program to erase and/or rewrite my browsing haboits. I see no use for me for the other 2 DCS products. I would rather have a program that rewrites and cleans the pc than encrypts the data. Why would that be necessary if I would use Process Guard? Any input would be appreciated on any of the software I've mentioned. I'm not the most experienced pc user, but it appears I would be able to handle the DCS products :cool: .

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nick

To take a shot at answering your question. For protection I use:

1. Win XP Pro SP1 (current on all patches)
    2. Zone Alarm Pro 4.5 for a firewall - to keep wolves at bay.
    3. F-Prot Anti-Virus with Real time virus scanner)
    4. TDS-3 For Anti-Trojan protection
    5. Wormguard - Particularily like for scripts and macro alerts.
    6. Process Guard to protect process's and keep unknown programs from
    running
    7. SpybotSD for spyware (only use the immunize real time)
    8. AdAware alternate scans for spyware.
    9 SpywareGuard
    10. SpywareBlaster.

Makes for a layered defense setup, and it has kept me clean.

As for the other two products. Port Explorer is very handy, to see what is going on in terms of communications in your computer. You can see what programs are actually communicating with the outside world, and what state they are in. This can be very valuable for troubleshooting.

Cryptosuite is a different kind of protection. If you need to it protects your data from people who may have access to your computer, or if you want to email critical data, you can encrypt it.

3. nick b

nick b Registered Member

:D Thanks Peter. That is more extensive than I thought. I am familiar with all except F-Prot, which I will research now.

4. dobegillis7

dobegillis7 Registered Member

I have the same question. HOW DO I USE PORCESS GUARD TO ENSURE MAXIMUM PROTECTION?

MY SYS:
    1 WIN XP PRO
    2 Tds-3 wt executive protection enabled
    3 Command Anti-Virus
    4 Zone Alarm Pro
    5 Surfin Guard Pro by FINJAN dot com
    6 Adaware Pro
    7 Process Guard (I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SET IT UP YET)
    8 I'm religious about virus updates and windows updates
    dobegillis7
    any help would be appreciated, I'm new at this

5. dog

dog Guest

These links will get you started ... ;)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27903

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=20348

BTW: The PG help file is well laid out for the learning process and is quite extensive.

:) Hope this helps you get started ... learnings half the fun! :)

Steve - *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.