Need input

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rawr, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Hey guys, I had been using ZA/Pro 6.0.631.003 but I'm tired of it crashing on me. :mad: I don't know what had happened..it had been working great before and now, I find myself end-tasking ZA a lot because it just freezes on me. I guess it's still a little buggy..but anyways, onto my dilemma..I'm in need of a small firewall program..nothing fancy..and nothing complicated. I d/l'ed and tried the Outpost trial version..but it seems that it's conflicting with WindowBlinds (systray icon menu of Outpost is all weird when I have WindowBlinds loaded) so I uninstalled it. I didn't really like Outpost anyways..interface was a bit too confusing for me. I'm sure if I played around with it for a bit I'd get the hang of it but I'd like something simple that does the job..other than shitty ZA. :D So please post your input! Thanks guys.. :D

Oh, I'd also like to say..it doesn't necessarily have to be all that great since I'm already behind a hardwall firewall..and hardwall firewall > software firewall. :D

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Have you tried the free version of ZA 6.0.631.003? Working great for me behind a router on XP Home sp2.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

and if that doesn't work for you try kerio 2.1.5 can be gotten at this site it's the third app down the list. it is a small very effective firewall.

4. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

I would have suggested Outpost! :p But then you can give Kerio a try!

5. rawr

rawr Registered Member

I'm afraid that it'd have the same issues I have with the PRO version since I had the free version before upgrading to the PRO version. I would rather just stay away from Zonelabs all together. Is there any firewall that is similar to ZA?

6. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Thanks..I'll check it out. From looking at the screen-shots..the i-face seems a bit like Outpost?

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

kerio 2.1.5 is much different and smaller than ver. 4 kerio. you might even want to give ver a try. ;)

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 is really nothing like Outpost. I would recommend Kerio 2 as well. It's extremely light, at around 5mb ram usage, and rules based, which allows you to do just about anything you want with it. Takes a little learning but the rewards are great.

9. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Thanks for the fast replies! :cool: :D

10. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I also agree on Kerio 2.1.5, it works great and I've never had a problem with it.

11. yogishree

yogishree Registered Member

To start with the following links should helpful :

Kerio PFW v.2.1.5;2.1 MB download
    http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf2-en-win.exe

Kerio/Tiny pre-3.x FAQ
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1. Kerio and pre-v3.0 Tiny PFW

Blarp Kerio Personal Firewall FAQ
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040205...qmanager.cgi?file=kerio_genrules&toc=kerio#q1

BZ Kerio 2x Default Replacement
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8023708

Downloas the Final Version of BZs Default Replacement
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/...755821cf/BZKerio2xDefaultReplacementFinal.zip

Happy Surfing. :-*

12. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Thanks for the links..but I'm getting an error when I try to run kpf2-en-win.exe. Something about make sure the package is valid..blah blah..contact vendor if this problem persists again? Any ideas? ..

Edit* Nevermind..got it installed. Quick question..The version you had linked me too, version 2 of Kerio..is it a trial version?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No, Kerio 2.1.5 is not a trial, it is entirely free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.