Need information with Online Banking and especially using PrevxSafeonline..etc

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by jasonbourne, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Hi,

Posting in behalf of a frined whose doing internet banking and does not use a firewall, anti-keylogger program. Just plain AV (AvastFree) behind a router.

I am about to suggest PrevxSafeonline facebook edition for his added protection but I'd like to ask here for more information and tips especially on online banking behavior (you know..pro's and cons perhaps or no-nos...perhaps good and bad experiences yeah!). And of course, how can PrevxSafeonline help him stay safe from:

1. man-in-the-middle attacks
    2. keyloggers etc

Maybe some ember who is using PrevxSafeonline with banking can share some experiences and tips. With WiFi connections also if I may ask so when I vouch for Prevx I'll have the information I can show him(he is using Wifi via his mobile and on public free one's too!!!).

I can't give him the information that he needs because I never do banking online. I like to do it personally at the bank premises.

Thanks and I hope for your help!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. fax

fax Registered Member

http://www.prevx.com/safeonline.asp

WIFI: Don't use public free hot spots for your banking! Connect the PC to the mobile WIFI using WPA2 with a strong random alphanumeric password (20 characters). If you/he/she cannot avoid using free wifi then use a VPN service to ensure the communication is shielded. If really cannot use VPN on public WIFI hotspot then try to reach the banking site only via https since first communication. The latter scenario can still expose the user if the hotspot is owned by the dark forces. :)

3. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Yes, PSO offers the protection that your friend needs, MITM attacks, keyloggers, screen grabbers, browser modification, cookies stealing, clipboard data protection, etc. He shouldn't use a mobile phone in public networks for online banking, I think.

And he could add this free firewall/HIPS, as he is not using one:

http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

4. jasonbourne

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply.

@vojta,

Privatefirewall! Yeah have used it and it's a great free firewall indeed.

@fax,

What may you suggest as a free VPN for my friend? I have used Comodo's version Comodo EasyVPN - CEVPN last year but not for long..

---

Additional questions if I may:

a. How can I know if a man-in-the-middle is present? Keylogger?

b. I remember PrevxSOL asks prompts to secure passwords and suggests to lock the password at the said site(if you opt to), is it safe to to let PrevxSOL to do that or is it better to let you prompt always for password every time you go to the site?

c. How is "question b." when using a VPN?

I'd like to pretty much explain it to him(friend) the reason for the questions.

d. I see in the SOL settings that paypal is "Pre-Configured". How can I set a banks webpage to be of the same configuration?

e. With that configuration stated in "question d.", are passwords safe to be locked in that particular bank-webpage/site?

Thanks really:)

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Sorry not using one myself, so I cannot suggest. But a simple search in here can lead to interesting threads to review, e.g.

Need a free VPN which provides US IP

a. Normally there is no easy way to know, they are silent per design.
    b. It is safe and reccomended, up to you.
    c. As far as I know just the same. :)
    d. Here is explained, very simple.
    e. Yes, safe. See point d. above on how to configure it

6. kupton

kupton Registered Member

This might be what you're looking for: UltraVPN

I had to stop using Safeonline. It's not compatible with the current version of Firefox, correct? Am I missing something?

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the first thing I would do is educate him on Zemana. For me its a hands down winner over SafeOnline or Prevx or whatever it is called.

I personally feel it would offer him the highest level of protection for what he is wanting to accomplish.

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

You may want to point him to this whitepaper done by the penetration testing firm Immunity, Ltd. on SafeOnline:

http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?GRAB=IMMUNITY

It gives a rather indepth review about how SafeOnline works and how it's significantly stronger than other solutions by taking the strengths of in-the-cloud detection and generic protection against identity stealing trojans.

Let me know if you have any questions!

9. jasonbourne

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the generous reply here. I'll check the links and try to explain to my friend and hopefully he can digest it.

One thing though PrevxHelp...

Has this been resolved?

Thanks!

10. PrevxHelp

Prevx 3.0's SafeOnline components currently do not support Firefox 4 but we've implemented support for Firefox 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0 in the new Webroot beta. However, in the meantime, you could always just do online banking with a supported browser (IE8 or 9 for example) and surf generally with other browsers. The antimalware components of Prevx 3.0 will still fully protect your PC.

11. jasonbourne

Friend uses Opera and I see it's supported. Okay if I/we encounter some hiccups or he asks some questions I cannot answer I'll post again.

12. PrevxHelp

Sounds good - thanks! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.