Need Help

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Warklen, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warklen

Warklen Registered Member

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out here..the other day my friend asked me to look at her pc because it would not boot up..laptop btw...so anyways her pc boots up to 2 options...

Launch startup repair and start windows normally

when i run startup repair i get this...

Info: a unexpected I/O error has occured

when i start windows normally i get a bsod but to fast for me to read anything and then reboots..
    i tried the vista install disk to repair and it say it fixed one problem..problem was corrupted system files reboot and your pc should start..but afyer rebooting the promblem remain the same as before..
    so when i tried to reinstall vista it freezes up..

I also ran avira's rescue cd but it found nothing..ive never seen this before..
    Think it could be hard drive failure??
    Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello

Can you get into safemode (tap F8 during boot) and select Last known good...?

Also, if you can, selecting Disable automatic restart... from the same menu will give you time to read the BSOD message on boot failure.

HTH

philby

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png

3. Warklen

Hi and thanks did what you said and i get this..

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,restart your computer. If this screen appears again,follow these steps

Disable or uninstall any antivirus,disk defragmentation or backup utilities.Check you hard drive config,and check for any updated drivers.
    Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption,and then restart your computer.

Technical Information
    Stop:0x00000024
    (0x0000000000190444,0FFFFFA8006AD0010,0XFFFFFFFFC0000102,0X0000000000000000)

I asked her if she installed anything new or anything and she said she never this all happend after she shut her laptop down for the night next morning she started it up to see this.

What would be the best tool to reformat her drive?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  4. philby

philby Registered Member

I would hold off on reformatting for the moment.

Can you run chkdsk /r from safemode?
    Can you run rstrui.exe (system restore) from cmd prompt in safe mode?

philby

5. Warklen

Sorry for not mentioning it before but i cant get in safe mode i get the bsod every time. I ran rstrui.exe with the vista install disk and all the restore points lead me back to a bsod and after chckdsk is done running once again bsod..LOL and now when trying to use the vista install disk i get this message

This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair.Try using a recovery that is compatible with this version of windows.

Any ideas what thats all about?

6. philby

philby Registered Member

Another idea from here:

System Recovery Option - This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to Repair
    By Super Admin | Published 12/10/2006

To work around this behavior, on the Select operating system page, select the blank space in the list under the Windows Vista operating system, and then click Next.

Worth a try ... o_O

philby

7. Warklen

Man this is wierd..oh that worked btw..so i ran chkdsk again and now im getting windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

I really dont know what else to do since.Dont really want to reformat now that she just told me the vista disk isnt the one that came with her laptop so im guessing theres a big chance her oem key wont work and we will be no further ahead then what we are now.

8. philby

philby Registered Member

Now that you have access again to System Recovery, can you run startup repair and then the memory diagnostics tool > reboot?

Also, is the Windows Complete PC Restore option a possibility - ie did she ever use Vista's backup tool?

philby

Edit:
    :( :(

Any other light she can shed?

9. Warklen

Unfortunately Complete PC Restore isnt an option.Ran Startup Repair and i get this.

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: Startup repairV2
    Problem signature 01: ExternalMedia
    Problem signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
    Problem signature 03: 0
    Problem signature 04: 65537
    Problem signature 05: unknown
    Problem signature 06: NoOsinstalled
    Problem signature 07: 0
    Problem signature 08: 1
    Problem signature 09: FixPartitionTable
    Problem signature 10: 1168
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.2561
    Locale ID: 1033

10. Warklen

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day and trying to help i really appreciate it.

memory diagnostics tool didnt work after reboot its still the same

11. philby

philby Registered Member

OK, I think this is beyond me now... :oops:

Perhaps it's time to pull her data off the machine using the Avira Rescue Disk you mentioned earlier...unless some of the regulars here more au fait with hardware issues can help ??

Sorry not to have been able to help you more...

FWIW, you might want to encourage your friend to start regular imaging - if this is only an NTFS problem, she could simply roll back to an earlier system snapshot et voila. Even if she decided to install a new HD if this one is toast, she could restore an image to that.

I would point her in the direction of Macrium Free - simple enough even for me to use. :)

Good luck and let me know what you do..if you have time to post back.

philby

12. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I would not to a reformat just yet.

I've only seen input/output errors one time and I was getting BSOD everytime I try to bootup, I also blamed the hard drive and reformatted to reinstall windows. But then windows installation cd wouldn't install, I also had a backup image and that wouldn't install, I tried a new hard drive and that didn't work either . The problem was a bad motherboard.

You can try using a linux livecd and see if that can bootup the computer. That can at least test some of the hardware.

13. Warklen

I dont know what she plans on doing now..Most likely she go and buy another laptop.Even though i tried telling her she dont need to its like talking to a door lol..Just like when i tried telling her about imaging before and again yesterday..She's just one of those people who want a pc but dont want to take a couple of minutes to learn anything about it..

14. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Lets see, cost of paying someone to fix your PC or worse, possibly in this case, the cost of a new PC as well as the time to get it setup and all the programs and data loaded, verses the cost of an imaging program (and of course there are free ones) and the time required to learn to use it.

Hey, its a no brainer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.