Need help with virus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by zaakattk, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaakattk

zaakattk Registered Member

Hi,
    This is my first post on this site. I am in desperate need of help. While at work, my brother's AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) screenname put up an away message with a website link. I clicked on the link, and the site popped up for a split second only...followed immediately by my own AIM automatically putting up an away message...the same exact one that my brother had (with the link).
    He told me that he didn't put up the message himself, but that it went up automatically when he clicked on his friend's away message (just like it had done for me), which meant that clicking the link downloaded the virus on the computer.
    I updated our Norton Antivirus and ran a full system scan (lasted 38 minutes), but it found no infected files. The next morning I downloaded Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot. The first run of Ad-Aware found 77 infected files, and I deleted them. The second run found 0 infected files. Then I ran Spybot, and it found and killed 14 files. I ran it again, and it found and killed 5 files. I uninstalled AIM and restarted the computer. Each subsequent run of Ad-ware found 0 files. Each subsequent run of Spybot found 5 files (always entitled "DSO Exploit") and killed them...a couple of hours later, each subsequent Spybot run found 8 files (all under "DSO Exploit") and after a few runs, it said that it could not kill the files.
    Before uninstalling AIM, whenever I would sign on the computer, the AIM service would immediately sign on and put up that same away message (with the link).
    Because it is a work computer and it is on a network, all of the systems in the office have been infected.
    Please, please help me to figure out how to solve this problem. Our IT Department people (two of them) have been unreachable all day, and I am worried that this virus is either self-replicating or worse, will continue to grow and spread and damage the files. My boss doesn't know yet (only my coworker who handles the IT things informally) and both my coworker and I are at a loss for what to do.
    Also, my brother's personal laptop at home downloaded the virus, and running Ad-Aware and Spybot killed a lot of the files, but he had the same result...Spybot kept finding the "DSE Exploit" files and killing them, but would find them again in the next run.
    Please, if anybody can help me to eliminate this virus from my computer and from our network, I would appreciate it so much.
    Thanks.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. zaakattk

Dear Snowbound,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to try to help me out.

So, does this mean that the virus itself is gone from the computer? Or is there something further that I need to do to get rid of it? We've been having problems printing from our computers yesterday and today, which I'm worried is related to the virus. I cleaned my computer with Ad-Aware and Spybot until Spybot only shows the "DSO Exploit" file as being infected, but my computer isn't printing properly either. Would you know if the virus might be causing this, and if it's really gone?

The post you sent to me from May regarding the problem in Spybot--have there been any upgrades or fixes now that will help me to eliminate the problem so that running a Spybot check will bring up no errors at all?
    The computers in teh office are pretty new (although there may be one or two old ones), so I'm not if all of them are 'patched.' My own computer is a Dell desktop, with Windows XP. Do you know if there's a way to verify if our computers are patched?
    Thanks.

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Iam not a virus expert so i do not know if this could be affecting your printer.

If u still think u have a virus, u could try these free online scans,

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.wilders.org/free_services.htm

One other way to see if your system is clean is too follow the instructions here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

then post your HijackThis log in the hijack cleaning forum with a full description of your problem and one of the experts will give u recommendations on any Malware found.

As far as knowing if your computers are patched just go to Microsoft update website and do a scan to see if everything is fully updated,

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

snowbound

5. zaakattk

Thanks. I'll try that.
    Thanks again for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.