Need help with Sygate PFW Pro

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AmRes, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmRes

AmRes Registered Member

Hi all!

I'm recovering from a system crash, and am trying to re-install my Sygate Personal Firewall Pro software. I managed to find my original serial and regcode (sometimes, being a packrat pays off).

However, the program is trying to connect to the Sygate site, which no longer exists (THANKS Symantec!) As a result, the registration is failing.

Does anyone happen to have some old notes lying around that will tell me what I need to do get it working. Registry settings, file edits, whatever.

If that's not possible, can someone recommend a firewall (Not Symantec) that supports Windows 2000 Adv Server? I don't have a lot of money to replace software (hence staying with old Win2k), so the cheaper the better.

System Specs:
    Windows 2000 Advance Server
    Running roughly 40 web sites and E-Mail server.
    Quad-core AMD
    4GB memory

Thanks in advance.

/rick

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You just might be stuck there.... I think if it were me in that situation, I'd just download one of the last Sygate Pro betas that they were working on right before Symantec bought things, and use that. They don't require a serial/key if I remember right, and can be found here, at the bottom of the page:

http://www.savefile.com/projects/1045215

5.6.3408 was pretty good and without issues last time I used it.

3. bollity

bollity Registered Member

sygate is solid but out of date firewall.
    try a new firewall.

4. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Sygate does not need connection to register, I have reinstalled it many times over the years without any connection to sygate needed.

Not sure what is hanging you up?

5. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Found this, I think it's an old red_jack post:

"Offline Registration

Usually, you have to register online. Eventually however, Symantec will take the registration servers offline and you'll be forced to use their new product which I'm sure will NOT be as good as SPFP or find something else entirely.

So, you have your Serial Number and Code ready and waiting but don't want to (or rather, can't) connect to the Sygate registration servers. You will need to add in a registry entry. Copy the text below into a new text file and rename it to 'offline.txt'. Then check to make sure that the text below in the code box is there. Then change the file extension *.reg. You will then need to right click it and select merge. This is on Windows XP Sp2 with Sygate Personal Firewall Pro v5.6 and it should work with all builds.

code:REGEDIT4

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Sygate Technologies, Inc.\Sygate Personal Firewall]
    "Session"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sygate Technologies, Inc.\Sygate Personal Firewall]
    "Session"=dword:00000001

After that enter your Registration (Serial and Code) into the proper fields. Also, you don't need to worry about correctly filling out the other details, you can just put Generic values in those fields as they will not be compared through an auth-server.

Click register and then a box will pop up thanking you, click OK.

Now you can add back your previously saved *.DAT files to get the current updates.

Done."

6. AmRes

AmRes Registered Member

Thanks all for the help. I was able to get y old machine up long enough to export some registry settings, including Sygate.

And all is right with the world....

Since I'm going to eventually have to "upgrade", does anyone have any suggestions of an inexpensive firewall that works with Win2K Server and Win 2003 Server?

Thanks again.

/rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.