Need help with Spybots program

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Khateyes, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khateyes

Khateyes Registered Member

I read all the helps files and thought I knew what I was doing. I unchecks a couple of things that Spybots said was unnessary and I click for the program to start automaticly when I click on Desktop Icon, but now it won't let me get back in to the controls. My Norton's auto-protects is not working. How do I get it back to advance mode? I don't like it being Auto and not being able to get to the controls. I can't even get to the help files. Help! :doubt: Khateyes

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Khateyes, ;)

Welcome to Wilders' ;)

I really don't understand your question ... but if your having problems with Spybot, and you want to start fresh,... unistall Spybot, then delete it's files from programs and Application Data (All Users), reboot, and re-install and reconfigure from there.

HTH, ;)

dog - *puppy*

*EDIT* as for NAV ... sometimes (rare) but it happens ... if NAV is delayed at startup it sometimes does not enable Auto-Protect (Spybot doesn't cause this) ... rebooting will correct the issue. BTW I use both NAV & Spybot ... No conflicts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2004
  3. Khateyes

Hmmm! I have been using Spybots and Nav for several years as well. I've been having lots of problems this month. In the process of trying to make my computer more stable I opened Spybots and there has not been any new updates since April. Does it go that long with out new updates? My daughter downloaded and set up Spybots for me and I had never read the helps section and I did just in case my daughter ( she doesn't like to read stuff)didn't set it up completely and I did find some things she didn't do. I unclick some file that had to with Nortons in which Spybots said wasn't neccessery. And then I decided that the automated thing would be good and I set it to automatic start when I click my Destop Icon. It scans okay, but there is nothing to click on to open up the program to get to the control. There was something about that in the help files, but I can't get it open to find out what the help files said to do. Everytime I restart my computer I have to open Nav. and reset default for Auto-protection to be on. The following was happening before I fiddled with Spybots: I can't get virsus scan, scan disk, or defrag. to complete without freezing up my computer. I've tried to scan with Housecalls and symantec online and they freeze up my computer as well. If I leave E.I. open on line for 15 to 20 min. without being here to change a page ever so often, that will freeze it up as well. Do have any ideal what I can do?
    Nav. keeps saying to uninstall, then reinstall, but then it says my computer needs to be stable before doing it. So I'm between a rock and a hard place.
    o_O Khateyes

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Khateyes, ;)

It could be that you are running a beta version ... not the final. (In regards to the update issue)

Before you uninstall - can you do a RECOVERY to undo that NAV change. To switch to advance mode ... select the mode button on the toolbar. The "Auto" I assume you're refering to are the Teatimer & BHO settings ... they should stay on. If you can't access the recovery mode ... if you uninstall, reboot and re-install without deleting the Spybot folders ... these changes will still be there. (I'm pretty sure)

Here a direct D/L link for Spybot V1.3 Final - http://www.spybot.us/spybotsd13.exe ... Sorry this link is temperarily down due to bandwidth usage.

Here's another link - Downloads.com

Uninstall your previous version and install this one, then try an update.

The latest updates are 06-23-04 (beta updates) and I believe the regular update are also the same date.

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2004
  5. Khateyes

My Spybots doesn't have uninstall. I went to add/remove programs, but when you click on it there it opens and start scanning just like on the Desktop Icon. In my programs it show I have an easy mode Spybots and An advanced mode, but both of them do the same thing. Just opens up this small frame with abort or continue buttons and that it. How do I get it deleted with out and uninstall feature. Khateyes o_O

6. dog

dog Guest

Hi Khateyes, ;)

When you go: Start-all program-Spybot (there should be an uninstaller there)

If not, open windows explorer goto C/program/spybot (main) folder ... click the uninstaller there. unins000.exe.

HTH, ;)

dog - *puppy*

7. dog

dog Guest

Hi Khateyes, ;)

Did that help?

dog - *puppy*

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hello Khateyes...

I *think* I know what ou are saying... somehow, it's back in default mode... You do not see the "controls" as you put it...

OK.... when you double click the Icon on desktop, does it start up the actual program itself. You get a window....

If so, then simply go to Mode/Advanced Mode in the menu bar. see pic.

Now, if you are saying, that when you double click the Icon, it just comes up with a window and it's actully "scanning" as you have it set like that.o_O

In any case, you can always abort the scan surely, see pic second post.

Hope this is what you were trying to achieve.

TAS

Attached Files:

9. Tassie_Devils

abort

tas

Attached Files:

10. Tassie_Devils

then change this.. UNcheck this to start scanning on program start..

TAS

Attached Files:

• 019.GIF
      019.GIF
      File size:
      6.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Khateyes

thanks for trying to help. but I don't get that window anymore. All I get is this little small window that has abort or began scan on it. There isn't any place else to click to open it back up into advance mode. In the help files under F&Q there was something about my problem happening and it told how to fix it, but of course I can get in to read what it said. Could you look that up for me and let me know what it says. Or maybe you could give me the guy who created the programs e-mail address. All I can do right now is do a scan, I can't get updates or anything else. Khateye

P.S.
    I did manage to get a windows scan a defrag. done yesterday without it freezing up on me. My computer is running a little better, at least. I still need to do a on line visus scan again. I tried to do one yeaterday and it froze up, but that was before I got it to do a defrag. Thanks for helping me.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  12. dog

dog Guest

Hi Khateyes,

Did the uninstaller in the spybot folder, help?

... if not the program seem rather corrupt/miss files/wrong paths ... if both the advance mode startup and easy start produce just a small window with abort & continue ... among the other things you've mention ... try and D/L and new copy of Spybot using the 2nd link in post 4 and try and re-install over the existing program and see if that fixes the problem? Have you tried that yet?

dog - *puppy*

13. Khateyes

No I haven't tried that. I didn't think you could do that. Wouldn't that just create a whole new program and then I would have 2 Spybots programs on my computer? Khateyes

14. Tassie_Devils

Khateyes... I would go with dog's recommendation then...

You have kept the original downloaded program haven't you...

If you cannot UNinstall via the Add/Remove program, then go to the actual folder and find the uninstall in the main folder, try that... see pic...

If no luck.. THEN... reinstall over top of old... no, you won't have 2 programs.. it will reinstall OVER the old one hopefully fixing/reinstating the defaults.

TAS

Attached Files:

• 020.GIF
      020.GIF
      File size:
      11.9 KB
      Views:
  15. dog

dog Guest

No, it will create itself in the same directory, rewriting/replacing the files.

I've also gone thru the help menu for you, but can't find what you're referring to.

You can access the help file here ... Window explorer ... c/programs/spybot/helpfolder ... click the english.chm

dog - *puppy*

16. Tassie_Devils

Khateyes.... I realised that you said when you click on Spybot S&D in the Add/Remove it "starts scanning"... Reallyo_O Odd!!

OK.. try it again, then when it scans, click Abort.. now.. the spybot S&D in the Add/Remove should be highlighed, now click on the Change/Remove and OK to uninstall it... see if that works...

Attached Files:

• 021.GIF
      021.GIF
      File size:
      9 KB
      Views:
  17. Tassie_Devils

One more thing.... have you actually let it proceed thru the complete scan...

try that, THEN see if the normal program window opens...

Also.. dog suggested to me in PM, do you have the current 1.3 FINAL program, not the 1.3 RC one... no updates that way...

Go back to site and get the latest one.....

or here..... http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2471

see pic for file name...

Attached Files:

• 022.GIF
      022.GIF
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Khateyes

Thank you so very much. Dog! I have learned a lot tonight. I was able to get to the help files and fine the Q&A I needed there. It told me to go to C:/Windows/All users/ ApplicationData/ Spybot Search and Destroy and click on the configuration file which brought it up on Notepad. then I changed all the Automation Values to zero. It worked! Thanks Again! Khateyes :D

Tassie. when I went into the Add/ remove That is what I did. I highlighted Spybot and then Clicked on Uninstalled/install button. My computer acts really weird sometimes.
    I do need to upgrade to New Spybots. I have 1.2. I haven't been able to get any updates since April. Do I need to uninstall the one I have before I get the new one? Maybe the Add/ remove will work now. Thank you both for being so quick to help. Khateyes :-*

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  19. dog

dog Guest

Hi Khateyes, ;)

That's great!

It was OUR pleasue! (TAS and myself) ... now we learned something too. ;)

Yes, try the uninstall again ... I would try the uninstall in the spybot folder ... we both mention ... C/program/spybot (main) folder ... click the uninstaller there. unins000.exe. Then install v1.3 ... if you can't uninstall just re-install over 1.2

Please let us know how it goes. :)

HTH,;)

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2004
  20. Tassie_Devils

Yep. Congrats on that Khateyes :D

Certainly did learn something. ;)

Cheers, TAS

21. Khateyes

I Still have some problems. I went to the download page and it says you have to uninstall previous Spybots before you download and install Spybots 1.3. I tried to go to the add/remove programs again and highlight Spybots, then click on remove button but instead of uninstalling it just opens the program up. I tried going into windows to find the 'uninsooo.exe' and I don't have one. Is there any other way to uninstall it? :mad:

My Norton's Antivirsus is working properly now. :D I downloaded 'Adware' upon the advise of some friends and they said it works well with Spybots, but when I open Spybots a page come up saying Spybot has spyware, but actually doesn't and I'm suppose to do something, but I don't know what it's talking about. :doubt: Khateyes

P.S. While I was in C:/Windows I noticed a lot of files to programs I have used and have since deleted. Why was all these files left behind of those programs? Should they be deleted?

22. dog

dog Guest

Hi Khateyes, ;)

Try an install over 1.2 ... the warning you saw was that at major geeks? Where you downloaded it from?

Or if you still have the v1.2 installer somewhere ... try reinstalling it (1.2) and it might correct the errors, and allow you to uninstall it properly.

ps, create a restore point ... as a safty net.

dog - *puppy*

23. dog

dog Guest

The warning is to warn that the program detected the other (I think they both have similar popups) it just warning that it may detect spyware in the other app ... but they run conflict free ... the next time you start it up, when that popup appears ... check off the box that says "Don't show me this again" (it worded something like that) and click OK. This dialog box is normal to see.

dog - *puppy*

24. Khateyes

I couldn't reinstall Spybots 1.2 , it says a required .DLL file, ADVCheck.Dll. was not found.
    I still had the setup for Spybots 1.1. I guess my daughter didn't uninstall Spybots 1.1 before she installed Spybots 1.2. It will let me reinstall Spybots 1.1, but I didn't do it. What should I do?

The major geek site is were I read about you have to uninstall previous Spybots before installing a new one. Should that warning be disregarded? That maybe the reason I'm in the fix I'm in. :(

Khateyes o_O

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  25. dog

dog Guest

Hi Khateyes, ;)

Yes, try an install 1.3 over 1.2 ... set a restore point as a just in case safty measure ... it should install alright ... it should just rewriting over the existing files.

dog - *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.